Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lastmile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I’ve got a 4,1 with 5,1 firmware running a six-core 3.46 GHz and a flashed reference EVGA 2GB GTX 680.

It’s doing the annoying fast PCIe slots fan thing.

I’ve gone through a couple of OSs and can’t remember if there are any that didn’t cause this to happen.

It was running a flashed XFX dual fan 6870 which did not cause the fans to act this way.

I know this is supposed to be fixable by running a graphics intensive app at start up.

I don’t recall my previous 4,1 (with 4,1) firmware doing this with a flashed 680 GTX.

Is there a known combination of Mac model, firmware, and graphics cards (or a minimum power draw) that causes this to happen? Does it happen with all flashed 4,1s?

This is annoying me enough that I’m considering downgrading or using an older MP especially since I’m turning to PCs for more processor or graphics intensive tasks.
[doublepost=1524435017][/doublepost]Never mind... think I found some posts that are answering my questions

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
It's just something that happens. The easiest thing I found to make it stop is use something like LuxMark to get the GPU up to 100%. Once it runs through the benchmark, the PCI fan will settle back down. Usually this fan and the PSU fan like to act up when you go from Windows to MacOS and vice versa.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
I used to have the problem but for some reason it no longer persists.

When it was present, I had OpenGL Extensions Viewer set to launch automatically upon start-up. You go to the "Tests" tab, and then start the test. A 3D rendered cube will spin for a while, and the fans will calm right down. Very quick and much less annoying than having to launch a game or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.