Upgraded Hard Drive for MacBook Pro 2010 - won't boot now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Angeles, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Angeles macrumors newbie

I replaced the manufacture hard rice with a 1 TB WD Blue Sata Mobile Hard Drive and I upgraded the memory from total 4GB to 8 GB.

I put everything together the way it is supposed to, I started up the MacBook Pro, enter the recovery disk, the Apple icon appears, the DVD starts working, the spinning wheel appears, it keeps spinning for like 2 minutes than it stops and nothing happens...

Plead help me.

thank you,

Angela

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

On booting up do you hold the C key down or the option key (so you can select the optical drive to boot up)?

Edit:
    You'll need to do either action to get the computer to boot off the optical drive.

3. Angeles thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply, sorry did not mention that step...
    So tired...

Yes I have done that...it gets stuck every time...

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you have internet Recovery on that MBP (Not sure it has) hold the Command-Option-R at startup, it will get you into internet recovery and will install an OS, or did you already install one, if so how?

5. Angeles thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying this right now...

Trying this right now....

----------

Ok it seems to be doing something...

I will let you know....

----------

The wheel stopped spinning again...

----------

It completely stopped again...

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like the DVD is corrupt or the drive doesn't work well anymore, and you might not have internet recovery.

Do you still have the old HD, if so is that one still working, if that is the case you can put it in an external casing, then boot from it by holding the Option key at startup and choose the external, you could then use a Application called Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the external to the internal, CCC is free up until version 3.4.7.