Upgraded Hard Drive....Now Macbook is SLOWWWW Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rmpmd11, Apr 5, 2008.

1. rmpmd11 macrumors newbie

I have a New MacBook 2 Ghz with 1 GB of Ram. I replaced the 80GB hard drive with an ATA 5400 RPM Samsung 250GB hard drive. I reinstalled the full contents of the 80 GB hard drive from an external hard drive and rebooted to the internal drive. It worked but it was very slow. I thought the single large partition might be affecting the performance so I made two partitions and the performance picked up a bit.
    But, it is still slow. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to speed the machine up to where it was when I first got it with the 80GB hard drive? Should I make multiple partitions? Is there a utility that I can run? Help please.

RP

2. Slothapotamus macrumors member

I'm guessing the cause of the problem is because you just copied everything over rather than doing a fresh install. Perhaps you should back up all your important files and reinstall the Mac OS from scratch.

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this. I just upgraded my HD to a 320 gb. I installed OS X, then used my time machine back up to add in my apps, etc...

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I agree too - the best way is to use CarbonCopy or Superduper! to clone the original disc to the external then restore the new 250GB disc from the clone.

That way you get an exact copy of your original disc - failing that as others have already said do a fresh install of the OS on to your new disc.

5. rmpmd11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I did use Superduper to reinstall the entire contents. It appears as part of the problem might be the size of the sectors. Anyone have a suggestion on the optimal size or any other utility to run to make the drive access faster?

Thanks in Advance,

RP

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The best thing to do is to do a full erase and install Leopard first followed by each individual application rather than dumping them all at once. Also this method will greatly reduce Spotlight's indexing time as it should only take a few seconds for it to index each app.