Upgraded HD - Seagate Mom 7200, then WD Blue - Stuttering!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesraward, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

I upgraded my mid 2009 mbp from 250GB to 500GB with a Seagate Momentus 7200, that crippled my battery life, so I got - on recommendation - a WD blue 5400 to replace it - now I've got it stuttering, and I'm not a violent man but it makes me want to punch it.

I'll be doing something, anything, in a browser, using chrome, firefox, safari, out of a browser using aperture, iphoto, you name it, even just finder after a reboot resetting pram and repairing permissions, and it'll 'pause' for a couple seconds, then my inputs will come flooding in at once.

Like just then, for instance, I'll be typing and then it'll pause.............. andtheneverythingwillcomeatonce, clicks, buttons presses, you name it.

I don't remember if this was here before I replaced the hd, but it seems to be prevalent now and I've been looking around for some time for a solution:

I've disabled growl, xmarks and time machine
    I've reset the pram
    repaired permissions
    used 'Main Menu' to clear caches and clean up
    Disabled SMS as the WD blue has it's own one (I'm using this on a very sturdy desk anyway)
    Updated (this support issue seems to describe my problem but I can't use it as I'm on 10.6.2 - this requires 10.6.1 so I'm assuming the '2' contained this)
    http://www.crunchgear.com
    http://support.apple.com/
    But to no avail, nothing seems to fix it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sadface

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, if you had not incurred the stuttering issue until you installed the WD drive, I'd place good money the drive is the problem. Contact the support folks where you purchased the drive or contact western digital.

I doubt any configuring within osx will correct the issue if you're incurring a hardware problem

3. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

I'll wait til I get back to my time machine so I can back it up first, but I'll try a clean install and then restore my programs/files with TM before trying a different drive.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this! (btw it just happened again for the duration of typing 'experienced this')

4. thederby macrumors regular

5. yaddam205 macrumors member

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Did you restore a backup or install a fresh version of OS X when upgrading your HDD? Are you getting the spinning ball? Did you try creating a new user to see if the stuttering happens there as well?

7. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

Very tempting, but this will be the 3rd 500GB laptop drive I will have bought in as many months!

Anyone want to buy a harddrive? :p

I used SuperDuper, when I get back to Bristol I'll be doing a fresh install to see if that solves the problem.

On that subject, if I do a format re-install, then restore my files using Time Capsule, what exactly gets restored? Just the user files, not the program files? (Not had the misfortune to have to restore yet!)

I'd like it to install a clean OS, then restore my documents but NOT my programs, then install them one-by-one to make sure I don't have this issue, and if I do, narrow it down to a program fr which I can find an alternative

8. ethandt macrumors member

I'm having the same issue with my early 2009 MBP. Just installed a 500 GB WD Scorpio Blue and around every 30 seconds the system would lag. I originally cloned my old drive over using CC. Yesterday I wiped the WD drive clean and did a clean install of OSx and brought my files over using Migration Assistant and Time Capsule. Everything was fine for around an hour then the pauses started happening again. Very bummed out.

9. thederby macrumors regular

i went through the same thing last weekend... twice.

reverting to efi 1.6 (per the thread i linked earlier) solved my issue entirely.

10. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

On page 5 of the thread, it's a long-un, could you point me in the direction of the, er, directions to downgrade to 1.6?

thankyouplease

11. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

Got it, typically got to page 10 then started from the end (pg 25) to reach pg 12, but thought I'd repost the instructions:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, here is my take on the russian instructions, tested and worked thank the lord.

Idiot proof version coming soon.

1337 version ( those who know their way around in mac)

1) Download the linked .dmg file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/27518861...o_Recovery.dmg

2) do not mount file

3) plug in a usb drive any size

4) REformat this USB drive in Mac OSX HFS+ Journaled in disk utility.

5) Click on the newly formatted drive Volume, then click on the tab restore (same row as erase).

6) in this panel you will see two white input boxes, in source you will browse and select the .dmg downloaded in step 1, you can either brose it or drag and drop it in the source bow.

7) in the Destination box, drag and drop the newly formatted Volume from step 4/5

* no need to have the erase destination box checked/ticked.

8) hit the restore button/

9) once this is done, unplug and replug the usb drive, shut down the machine

10) boot up the machine while its booting up, before the apple icon pops up, press and hold the OPTION button until your drives/partitions pop up.

11) in my case i had three pop up, my bootcamp partition my main mac harddrive, and the BOOTABLE USB drive i just made, select the bootable USB drive (yellow orangish color) Use Arrows to navigate and Enter button to select

12) once this is selected the apple logo will come up and a dark gray bar will start to move right under it. Sit relax and wait for the process to be done.

END: you have now downgraded to EFI firmware 1.6

If you get this error

"Image Error:

Could not find any scan information. The source image needs to be imagescanned before it can be restored."

Click on the image file in the list on the left and then click on Image in the menu and then on Scan Image for Restore. After that, everything should go smoothly.

Thanks to SmAcDuff for pointing out the solution to the Image scan error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't suppose anyone can give me that file, can they? Rapidshare seems pretty choked at the mo

EDIT: Gorrit, friend has premium account, if anyone needs it, holla

12. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

done it, didn't work, ar$e

you know what, screw it, can't be bothered, ridiculous restriction on a user-serviceable part, I'm going to go back to the original hd and swap the one in the ps3 for this one. If anyone has better luck than me, I envy you

13. - 42 - macrumors newbie

Have you tried using HDAPM to change the power management of the drive? I noticed the same symptoms after upgrading to a WD 640 GB drive on an early 2008 MBP, but using HDAPM cured it.

14. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Exactly. Revert to the original drive and see if the issue disappears. If it does, you probably need to replace your new HD.

16. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

I shall give that a shot now

I'll give this a shot 3rd

That'll be the second route, maybe I'll but the momentus in the ps3, it's not selling on Amazon so I might as well use it!

17. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

So, touch wood, this seems to have addressed the problem.

Though I'm not sure what kind of an impact this will have on battery though, what was your experience?

If this fixes it BUT gives the same hit on battery then I might just go back to the momentus!

18. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have the hitachi travelstar 500GB 7200rpm drive, and it is a really nice quite drive! It was on sale at newegg for $90 shipped, but i bought it at frys for $100.

19. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

Wish we had newegg over here, ebuyer just doesn't cut it!

20. HBOC macrumors 68020

surely there has to be some retailer that carries this in stock? Newegg wont ship over seas?

21. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Overclockers.co.uk and cclonline.co.uk (or .com?) are close to Newegg alternatives.

22. - 42 - macrumors newbie

I'm glad it worked for you!
    I can't say I've noticed any negative impact on battery life.

23. davidlv macrumors 65816

And someone asked "Did you disable power management on the drive?"

My question is "How do you disable that power management function? Is it a switch or something on the drive itself? I didn't notice anything like that (wasn't really looking) when I tried to install a WD Scorpio Blue in my Macbook Pro, which had to come out later due to the "lag" problem. Thinking about installing it again and trying the HDAPM or disabling power management function.
    Anyother information appreciated.

24. - 42 - macrumors newbie

You can control the power management level on the drive using hdapm. Check for example here for more info.
    Good luck!

25. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

rapid share link is broken can you repost it. Thanks