Upgraded HDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by itsallinurhead, Mar 24, 2008.

1. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

What hds are you guys using as your main system drives? I just got an octo-2.8 and I feel like the stock 320gb hd is slightly lacking. Suggestions? Should I just call it quits and buy a raptor?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

yeap get the 150gb raptor with the metal casing dont get the raptor X with the glass on top because its mtbf is twice as short, it runs louder, more expensive (maybe same price now a days), runs a bit slower.

3. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

sorry, but what is mtbf. I have seen that term used quite a bit recently and I have NO idea what it is. :eek:

4. mistuk macrumors member

MTBF - Mean Time Between Failures - ie the average time between failures of a system / component.

HTH

Kev

5. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

So I am stuck. I am about to make an order from OWC. 4gb more ram, or a 150gb raptor? I am leaning towards the ram. I currently have 2gb.

6. mistuk macrumors member

What will you be using your system for? I've just ordered a Mac Pro and I went for 4Gb extra RAM - from OWC - (there are some that will say this will not give me optimal performance - but I'm not interested in millisecond improvements here and there) - extra RAM WILL be noticeable with most heavy-duty applications.

In terms of hard disks - I've ordered 2 x 750Gb Samsung F1s - I'll be using the stock 320Gb for WinXP and backups (2 partitions).

Do you REALLY need the extra speed that the Raptors will provide?

On the Mac side I do a lot of photo work (Aperture & Photoshop), Music (Logic Studio 8), and a bit of video (FCE 4).

Regards,

Kev

7. ralfi80 macrumors newbie

you can improve both. instead of 4gb OR a raptor take 2 x 1 gb sticks from ebay (many people sell their original ram) AND buy a WD 640 GB, a Seagate 7200.11 or something like that as your system disk.

so you have 4 gb memory and the advantage of 4 channel access to the memory AND you have a faster system disc and you can take the original drive for time machine backup...

8. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Is the Seagate 7200.11 that much faster than the system disk?