Upgraded iMac 2013 late to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eduardot, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Eduardot macrumors regular

Ok Guys:
    1. connected the SSD to a sabrent USB3 UASP SATA III 2.5 " enclosure.
    2. the SSD is a Samsung EVO 860 1 TB.
    3. Previously formatted the disk and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to make the HDD clone.
    4. Afterwards of 4 hours that it took to make the copy.
    5. In settings i selected the SSD to be the boot drive, and then restarted the iMac.
    6. R/W speeds are in the 400- 430 mb/s.
    7. And still we have to try to put the SSD inside the iMac.
    8. I post pictures.
    9. The boot process did take a little longer than 1.5 minutes. All is working fine. Definitely faster.

Attached Files:

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My suggestion:

UNLESS you are SURE that you can open the iMac and do the job without problems, just leave things "as they are right now". It's a matter of skill and confidence. If you can do it, go ahead. But, realize that what you're seeing right now, speed-wise, is pretty close to what you'll see if you mount the drive internally.

RE bootup times -- did you go to the startup disk pref pane, and set the external SSD to be the boot drive?

3. Eduardot thread starter macrumors regular

Yes the SSD is set to be the boot drive.

4. Eduardot thread starter macrumors regular

Took the plunge and upgraded the SSD to inside the iMAc. Enabled Trim, and my read and write speeds are from 80 to 490-520 MB/s. Boot is down from 2minutes to 20 seconds. And the programs load a lot faster. The process is a little difficult, but I used to build my own systems when I was in Windows, so I was not that challenged.
    I want to thank ALL of YOU that participated and advised me on the process and details.
    I post some pictures.

Attached Files: