Upgraded iMac to 3TB Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dangles89, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dangles89 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

So I've done research on this topic and I'm in need of some help but its not a serious issue.

I have the mid 2011 27" iMac and I upgraded the Apple 1TB Hard Drive to a Non-Apple 3TB Hard Drive

Everything works perfectly the only issue is the fan is running at maximum speed so it gets a tad bit annoying

I know with the Apple Hard Drives they have their own firmware in there that control the fan speed based on temperature. In this case this hard drive doesn't have Apple's firmware so the fan runs at full speed.

Now I've done a lot of reading and other guys said to use SMC Fan Controller which I currently have... It adjusted the fan to run lower for about 30 minutes or so and then it ramped right up there again.

Does anyone know of some terminal code or something that can pernamently adjust the fan speeds because SMC doesn't do anything in regards with fan speed control (I have the more current version of SMC)

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

2. trance2 macrumors member

I recently upgraded my 2TB disk for a 3TB disk and had the same issue, the fan speed would just ramp up. I used SMC Fan Control before but I wanted a more elegant solution. I ended up finding this program:

http://www.hddfancontrol.com/

It works well and now I have a quiet iMac again, if the drive does it get hot during operation the program allows for the fan to spin up and do its job.