Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Rotterdam
I have samsung 970EVO with adapter on my MBA 2017, running Mojave. in the beginning, I use blackmagic disk speed test to get 1.3/1.5Kb ( I understand that is limited by Apple) however, today I tested only get 735Mb. the OS is 10.14.6 now.

What caused it? Does it issue from MacOS or from the Samsung 970?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
How full is your disk, what format is it in (HFS+ versus APFS) and have you enabled TRIM support? As your disk fills up, the SSD has to do more to manage the blocks: without TRIM enabled it doesn't truly know which blocks are still in use, and which are free, so it has to coalesce the blocks that it knows are free to erase them, and then write your data. Net result is a drive that slows down.

Last edited:

z2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Rotterdam
around 50% usage. APFS format, I believe TRIM enabled. I only use this SSD some months with Mojave. I feel it is strange.

z2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Rotterdam
Solved. The problem is snitch adapter too close the slot. its may get some connection with ground. reinstall adapter and problem gone.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With the early release of the small, green Sintech adapters, many users, including myself, had to use Kapton tape to prevent the metal Shield above the logic board's SSD slot from making contact with the pins on the Sintech.

When the adapter contacted the metal shield, the lane width dropped to x2 from x4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.