Upgraded Mac Pro 1,1 Clovertown issues with compressor etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CoryTV, Dec 7, 2009.

1. CoryTV macrumors member

First thanks to the forum for all the info and help, I just upgraded my MacPro 1,1 to 8-core and 4870-- much appreciation.

Now, I'm a bit concerned about all of my programs actually being able to use my cores. While the OS and most apps seem to work great, Compressor Qmaster seems to not be able to see more than 1 core. It saw 4 before w/ my 5160s. This is also reflected in the 'standard' activity monitor CPU Usage-- it only shows 1 box instead of the 4 it used to.

Does SL have some shell-level problems telling apps how many cores you actually have because of the upgrade? While the kernel recognizes them, I'm wondering if there isn't some other place

Theoretically, in the future, compressor shouldn't be such a POS, and actuallly be encoded for multi-core computers instead of this crappy apple q-master hack. But that doesn't help me today...

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Compressor is coded by belsebub and Qmaster designed by satan.

On macrumors and creativecow you have few threads about the subject,read them through. Then you might,might succeed putting things up proper.
    Or you will loose your marbles and start to wander on the streets naked and sobbing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=433811

3. lbodnar macrumors regular

Is this how it is for everyone who upgraded? :confused:

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's absolutely normal. My Activity Monitor shows only one graph, whereas I've got 16 logical cores.
    You can get a list of all cores by pressing cmd+2 or cmd+3.

5. CoryTV thread starter macrumors member

I know it's 'normal' I'm just trying to guess why compressor only sees 1 core. It just reminded me of the upgraded 'activity monitor' cpu usage graph 'issue.'

I know compressor is lame. I have used it for several years, but my specific issue is that the prefpane doesn't give me a choice for # of instances, is just let's me add 'This Computer' as a single instance-- it occurs to me that it might be looking at the same thing that activity monitor does to 'determine' the number of 'cpus'

6. CoryTV thread starter macrumors member

Figured it out..

I had to switch over to 'services and cluster controller' and then switch back to create a new 'quickcluster' (with 6 instances, according to barefeats recommendation) and it seems to be working great)

Might have something to do with the previous cluster having a different # of cores...

7. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Might.
    But the apps itself are so consistently unconsistent that they boggle my mind. Some day they work,some day the dont.
    I tried to set up my macbook as a extra cluster in addition to MP.
    The setup worked maybe on 20% tries untill I gave up.