Upgraded Mac Pro Mid 2010 ATI 5770 to GTX660

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by P00t, Aug 26, 2014.

1. P00t, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

P00t macrumors member

Hey guys
    I thought I'd share my experience with my upgrades I plan to carry out on my Mac Pro Mod 2010.

My Main goal was doing this on a budget

I've upgraded from the original Apple ATI Radeon 5770 HD to a stock EVGA GTX 660 since it was within my budget and isn't a bad update compared to my 5770.

I loaded the latest web-driver before taking the 5770 out and installed the GTX660, booted up my system and everything worked great.

No stutters in my video's and a huge visual upgrade when I ran Call Of Duty Black Ops from Steam.

Only problem so far is I found the fan to get noisy, which isn't terrible, but I wonder what it'll sound like when I get around to booting windows 8 for gaming.

I plan to hopefully go into SLI mode so I can play the newer games within Steam on Windows 8 since it performs just as well as the higher ended cards.

This was a great upgrade for the price and even in SLI mode it'll run at less than half the price of the higher end cards.

Also worth noting that when using the OSX driver you find no differences.

I guess my major tests will be when I go into Windows 8 and game, before that though I plan to upgrade my Quad 2.8 to a Hex Core CPU (X5650 to be precise.)

Benchmarks have gone from:
    ATI Radeon 5770 HD > Score of 255 with 932 on 3D Frames Per Second
    EVGA GTX 660 > Score of 351 with 1446 on 3D Frames Per Second

Anyone else done this upgrade, would be interested in hearing you experiences.

2. RoastingPig, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Allot of cards make the pcie fans go high.. Theres some in depth threads on here about it. It has to do with the card drawing more power