upgraded Mac Pro slow,now the CD doesn't read CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by machenryr, Nov 8, 2016.

1. machenryr macrumors regular

machenryr

3.46 early 2009. I upgraded the CPU last year with two MPs. This one, my main, just slogs. Now I went to burn some CDs for a client and it managed to burn one, but now the Mac rejects every new black CD I put in. The 2nd Mac reads them fine. But I don't have the software I need to burn on the 2nd Mac. Arrghh!

I blew compressed air in the open tray, repaired permissions and reset the pram. I recently moved so I can't locate my DW disk. Any si=uggestions? Is it just time to replace the drive?

2. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've always had horrible luck with DVD burners. I would always find them non-functional when I needed them. On the other hand, the DVD burners on my laptops have been much more reliable. Now, I just have slim USB DVD burner to use with my desktop on the rare occasions I need to burn a disc.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Sounds like a dead super drive. Of course, it's possible that you get a drive that quite picky, and the whole batch of the disc can't be recognised by that particular drive. However, it still means that you have a problematic super drive, better to swap it out, or get an external USB backup optical drive.

5. machenryr thread starter macrumors regular

machenryr

Thanks. Are there certain superdrives that either won't work on MacPro 2009? I believe there are accommodations for two superdrives on the MacPro, right? They looks super cheap. Maybe I'll buy two.

6. sevichenko macrumors regular

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Any SATA superdrive will work. In fact almost any SATA optical drive will work, including blu-ray burners. You just need to pop off the front bezel from the tray, which is what most of us do. So unless you are a stickler for Apple parts, just get a common brand DVD or blu-ray burner (such as LG for example) and pop the front bezel off.

8. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

I had an issue with my mac pro not burning CD's the issue was older media that worked fine in my G4 bought some new CD's they work fine FYI