Upgraded Macbook 2ghz vs Stock 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Squirrely, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Squirrely macrumors newbie

Well, you guys probably have seen many of these type threads of a similar dilemma. By using the search tool a bit, I have found this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=586937

and it's quite helpful and answered many questions, but I still have a few. (As this will be my first mac purchase, except my iphone, so kind of a Mac noobie, sorry :D.)

My budget is around $1500 (educational discount can apply for me) and I really just want a solid laptop for the typical internet/photos/music/movies and a few games here and there. The 2.4ghz model is $1499, so I will be unable to upgrade it any until a later date (until my wallet can). But the 2ghz version I could stick 4gb of ram, and a better harddrive for around $1450, saving $50, but not have that .4ghz. I really don't need the illuminated keyboard, I can type quite well without looking down, but I also don't use my laptop much in the dark either.

But, when upgrading the laptop myself (Buying the (2x2gb) sticks and a bigger harddrive from newegg) does that conflict with the warranty/service any? Would they not service it because it does have a different harddrive and ram? Or would Apple hopefully not mind?

If they don't mind, then would 4gb ram/better harddrive really be that big of a boost? I plan to run Fusion (XP or Vista) for a few things, so the 4gb should help with the visualization. Also, if I was to get a bigger/faster harddrive as well, would a 7200rpm harddrive affect the battery life?

Thanks.

2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I'd personally recommend buying the 2.4. The upgrades can always be done at a later date but you cannot add a faster processor or a back lit keyboard. I can type 120wpm while touch typing, but I still appreciate having backlit keys. It's really cool :)

Adding memory or a new hard drive does not void the warranty... it's almost encouraged by Apple with their new computer designs. For obvious reasons, if a third party HD dies, Apple will not service it, and the same goes for memory. But if you bring your computer in for an unrelated problem, third party HDs/RAM will not conflict with your service.

3. Squirrely thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. The last part I was most concerned about. Is it too much of a problem to reinstall OS X on another harddrive? Or is it quite easy with the included disks?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its easy to install MAC OS X but please read the instructions first.

5. Squirrely thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok, will do.

With 2gb vs 4gb, would 4gb be much better for doing fusion + other things, or 2gb would be sufficent? Also, with upgrading the harddrive, would a 7200/more space (because of more platters) drive be much of a difference in battery life/heat? I've read a few places, but the views are sort of mixed, some say it is quite minimal, one I heard a 7200 320gb knocked 30-45 mins off the battery life.

Also, what type drives does Apple use? I think I saw Fujitsu, but not sure. Or do they change drive manufactures?

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Apple uses a variety of HDD manufacturers. 4gb will definitely be better if multitasking between OS X and Fusion, but 2gb is sufficient. Like Snake said, you can easily add more RAM down the road (even 6gb). From my experience and manufacturer specifications 7200rpm will not noticably decrease the battery life over a 5400rpm drive.

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Get the 2.4, you will always regret it otherwise. 2 gigs is enough to run vmware unless you are really running it hard.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely, this says what needs to be said, and from experience I can also say that the backlit keyboard is really cool.

Again, agree. Get the 2.4, it's the better model.

Cheers and good luck

9. svndmvn Guest

If you care about your money, get the 2GHz and leave the 2GB stock in there for a while and see how that goes. Upgrade the HD yourself, to a 320GB or 500, depending on how much you need space, of course. 250, at least, I'd say. And everyone needs an external HD, so just get a case for your 160GB.
    I know the backlit KB is cool, but seriously, are you really buying a Mac because of its cool factor? This should answer your question.

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Stock MB 2GHz Alum=$1249
    Free HP Printer=$99.95-100 (Requires easy online rebate)
    Tax=$80.94
    Total=$1248.95

4GB OWC RAM=$84.99+2.50 shipping=$87.49
    Seagate 5400RPM 320GB HDD=$74.99
    (You could also wait around for Hitachi to renew their rebate and get their 320GB 5400 RPM HDD for $54.99).

Grand total for 2GHz Alum MB/4 GB DDR3 RAM/320 GB 5400 RPM HDD:$1410.96 (With Hitachi $1390.97!)