UpGraded MBP 13 or wait..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlCaPp, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AlCaPp macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am switching to Mac soon but I dont know when.. the thing is my PC is broken, it works but I can't really carry it, it would fall apart.. which is pretty annoying for a laptop.

So my question is ; should I get the entry Macbook Pro 13" and upgrade it to 16RAM + 128go SSD or wait for the new Macbook pro Haswell..??

Knowing that I can buy it for $999 with the student discount and upgrade it would cost 200/300$.

My use? Photoshop & Lightroom quite a lot and I am going to start using Final Cut Pro..

My Budget? Around 1300/1400$

AlCaPp ~

2. Suraj R. macrumors regular

Wait, if you're like me (and most people) you won't want to buy something and have it replaced with something later after. That's why I got the Air (among other reasons), because it was just refreshed and it won't be in October.

3. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

are you urgent for macbook?
    if not, maybe wait is better...

but i'm not sure, that haswell with hd5000 will significant increase performance than hd4000. ofcourse in 13 layer.

if u dont care about GPU, get one now and then upgrade to 16GB with 128 SSD

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would get it now if upgrading/future proofing are important for you. There is a chance the classic MBP will be discontinued and only the retina MBP will be sold.

5. laurasaur25 macrumors member

I'm also wanting to purchase and am waiting. It seems to be either next week or September/October. If you can't wait until Sept/Oct then at least wait until next week to make sure it's not then. Or if you definitely aren't waiting until Sept/Oct then if you buy now and it's released in the next 14 days you could return. I personally wouldn't want to mess with it but it's an option.

Also, if you wait and there's a release and you get an old model then the price could drop.

There's always the refurb option which a lot of people looking for cMBP's are doing, which can be tracked here: http://www.refurb.me/us/

6. Laco macrumors 6502

Personally If I were you I would buy a Macbook Air right now. You can get a 13 inch Macbook Air for 1099 (1199 before student discount) with 8gb and 128 SSD. It has a better GPU then the CURRENT 13 inch pro plus it will cost you less then if you were to upgrade the pro yourself.

7. scbond macrumors 6502

The cMBP is unlikely to be updated but just as unlikely to be discontinued. Either way, get your upgrades yourself and not via Apple as they charge a ridiculous premium for them. Also, I would say avoid 16GB of memory...most people don't need that much and many have reported issues with using 16GB.

8. AlCaPp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help guys.

I am really interested in the new MBA as well, especially because I travel a lot.. But wondering if it's good enough.. I use Photoshop & Lightroom a lot.

Is the i7 + 8Go RAM strong enough?