UpGraded MBP 13 or wait..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlCaPp, Jul 17, 2013.

  1. AlCaPp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2013
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I am switching to Mac soon but I dont know when.. the thing is my PC is broken, it works but I can't really carry it, it would fall apart.. which is pretty annoying for a laptop.

    So my question is ; should I get the entry Macbook Pro 13" and upgrade it to 16RAM + 128go SSD or wait for the new Macbook pro Haswell..??

    Knowing that I can buy it for $999 with the student discount and upgrade it would cost 200/300$.

    My use? Photoshop & Lightroom quite a lot and I am going to start using Final Cut Pro..

    My Budget? Around 1300/1400$


    Thanks :)

    AlCaPp ~
     
  2. Suraj R. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    Wait, if you're like me (and most people) you won't want to buy something and have it replaced with something later after. That's why I got the Air (among other reasons), because it was just refreshed and it won't be in October.
     
  3. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #3
    are you urgent for macbook?
    if not, maybe wait is better...

    but i'm not sure, that haswell with hd5000 will significant increase performance than hd4000. ofcourse in 13 layer.

    if u dont care about GPU, get one now and then upgrade to 16GB with 128 SSD
     
  4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #4
    I would get it now if upgrading/future proofing are important for you. There is a chance the classic MBP will be discontinued and only the retina MBP will be sold.
     
  5. laurasaur25 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2013
    #5
    I'm also wanting to purchase and am waiting. It seems to be either next week or September/October. If you can't wait until Sept/Oct then at least wait until next week to make sure it's not then. Or if you definitely aren't waiting until Sept/Oct then if you buy now and it's released in the next 14 days you could return. I personally wouldn't want to mess with it but it's an option.

    Also, if you wait and there's a release and you get an old model then the price could drop.

    There's always the refurb option which a lot of people looking for cMBP's are doing, which can be tracked here: http://www.refurb.me/us/
     
  6. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #6

    Personally If I were you I would buy a Macbook Air right now. You can get a 13 inch Macbook Air for 1099 (1199 before student discount) with 8gb and 128 SSD. It has a better GPU then the CURRENT 13 inch pro plus it will cost you less then if you were to upgrade the pro yourself.
     
  7. scbond macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nottingham, UK
    #7
    The cMBP is unlikely to be updated but just as unlikely to be discontinued. Either way, get your upgrades yourself and not via Apple as they charge a ridiculous premium for them. Also, I would say avoid 16GB of memory...most people don't need that much and many have reported issues with using 16GB.
     
  8. AlCaPp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2013
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #8
    Thanks for your help guys.

    I am really interested in the new MBA as well, especially because I travel a lot.. But wondering if it's good enough.. I use Photoshop & Lightroom a lot.

    Is the i7 + 8Go RAM strong enough?
     

Share This Page