Upgraded Memory..Still Spinning!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kluce6, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kluce6 macrumors newbie

I have an IMAC running OS X 10.6.8, with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I am plagued by the Dreaded Spinning Beach Ball of Death! I upgraded memory to the maximum 8GB. This made the situation temporarily better, but, now, I am going insane with the constant spinning. I can't get much done. Please help!!

2. JootecFromMars macrumors member

What is the status of your HD in Disk Utility?

When do you get the spinning beach ball?

3. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Check if the RAM is properly seated. Reseat the RAM and see if it helps.

But if you had these problems before it could be HD failing or thousand of other things really.

4. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Were you getting the Beach Ball effect before installing the additional RAM? If so, I'd try to run Memtest on the original sticks first and then the new ones thereafter so check on stability.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible your performance issue has nothing to do with RAM. When you're experiencing performance problems, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

6. kluce6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgraded Memory..Still Spinning

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help. I'm posting the screen shots you requested. Kluce6 :)

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You aren't having any problems with RAM, as you have plenty of free RAM available. There is nothing in your screen shots that would indicate high demands on system resources or a cause for beachballing. Were you getting beachballs at the time of the screen shots?

8. EPiCDiNGO macrumors member

EPiCDiNGO

Try installing MORE toolbars to your browser it may make it run alot faster :eek: :apple:

9. PerformancePcs macrumors newbie

Youre RAM.. Is it all single channel or dual and did you pair or purchase gradually.. Also, Ive noticed on the top right of the screen shot that you are running two monitors?

Also, whats the EMC number of the imac please.. Want to check if my theory is correct before I say what it is..

10. johto macrumors 6502

johto

I noticed that too! :p
    Whats up with the question mark icons(missing) on the Dock?

This and the bloated toolbars, i bet your whole system is "bloated" as hell.
    Maybe a new clean install would do wonders? :rolleyes:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those are shortcuts to apps that are no longer installed or no longer in their original location. They can be removed by dragging them off the Dock.

12. GyroFX macrumors 6502

does your HD have that infamous light grinding noise every so often? It could be the HD, which halts any activity for a matter of sec or the program being unresponsive till you force quit. I've had beach ball issues on my 2010 iMac even with 12gigs of ram. The HD was the culprit even though it's stated as healthy, but you can hear the grinding sound. I replaced it with a new HD and have not experienced the beach ball of death since.