Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone.

Hope someone will be able to help since Apple isn't doing anything. They say they are trying but ???? Here's what's going on. I decided to upgrade my perfectly working Powermac G5 Quad with 5gb of ram to Leopard the next day it came out and i have been having proplems ever since.

My computer is crashing, freezing and even getting some Kernel Panic. Most of the time it's happening while running simple aps. like iTune, mail or iPhoto. I sometimes hear a cliking sound comming from my tower and then it will crash. A few times, (4) all my fans started blowing like crazy and i had to hard reset my computer with the power button. I re-installed Leopard a few times now and it's still the same. At one point, iPhoto wouldn't even open. I ran all the hardware test with the install disk and everything seems ok. Here's the message i got last night after my fans started going crazy and got this Kernel panic:

Sun Nov 18 20:28:53 2007
panic(cpu 3 caller 0x010476B4): "ATA Device recovery failed\n"@/SourceCache/IOATABlockStorage/
IOATABlockStorage-200.1.8/IOATABlockStorageDriverV2.cpp:2325
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 3:
Backtrace:
0x0009AD18 0x0009B6BC 0x00029DC4 0x010476B4 0x010478D4 0x007810E8 0x0078181C
0x00784CF8
0x00785A14 0x00784AF0 0x00784774 0x01066D58 0x00784704 0x003566C0 0x007846AC
0x01066C98
0x0077FBAC 0x01047624 0x01047748 0x010478D4 0x007810E8 0x0078181C 0x00784CF8
0x00784F20
0x01069008 0x00784E24 0x0078C0B0 0x0003F8D8 0x000AFE54
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage(2.0.0)@0x1044000->0x1056fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(1.7.3f1)@0x77e000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(1.5.2)@0x628000
com.apple.driver.AppleK2SATA(1.0.4f2)@0x1065000->0x1069fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4)@0x683000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(1.7.3f1)@0x77e000
com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(1.7.3f1)@0x77e000->0x78ffff
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x744c6280)
PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; DSISR=0x00000000; LR=0x00000000;
R1=0x00000000; XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
Mac OS version:
9B18
Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Wed Oct 31 17:48:21 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228.0.2~1/RELEASE_PPC

Can anyone make any sense of this. Don't forget that this Powermac never had any problem's B4 Leopard and that it's been the most stable Mac i had. I'm so pissed off at me for making that switch. I spent at least 6 hours on the phone with apple in two different occasion and most of that time was waisted just waiting for someone to answer.

Thank's in advance for any help or advices you could send my way.

Missing my Tiger.........
Yvon.:mad::confused:

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I can't provide much in the way of help other than to commiserate.

I posted a note here a few days ago warning people off of Leopard for a variety of reasons: kernel panics (G5), Safari problems (eating CPU and memory), "black screen of death" (MBP), Spotlight (many hours of indexing time + inexplicable re-indexing of an external drive), and general poor performance (worse than Tiger on the G5, particularly Safari). OK, Mail is faster - big deal.

Plus, I thought that many of the UI changes were a step backward, although I do like Spaces. But I wouldn't use TM on a bet (see the many posts of TM destroying HD).

Thankfully, 10.5.1 has seemed to stabilize things a bit - can you install it? I haven't had a kernel panic in a few days. The Intel version seems a bit more stable than the PPC.

My advice, if you've backed up your data, reinstall Tiger and wait a few months.

Good luck.

- robin
G5 2 x 2.5 Ghz
MBP 2.2GHz

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Did you do an Archive and Install? I can't emphasize enough the importance of doing that from the very beginning. Go ahead and try it if you haven't yet, and see if your problems persist. They likely won't, from the experiences I've had (I've install Leopard on around 10 machines so far without any major issues).

jW

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'll second Mal's advice with the archive and install option. In addition, rather than using software update, I'd advise downloading the full-size 10.5.1 update from Apple and running it from the finder.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I can't provide much in the way of help other than to commiserate.

I posted a note here a few days ago warning people off of Leopard for a variety of reasons: kernel panics (G5), Safari problems (eating CPU and memory), "black screen of death" (MBP), Spotlight (many hours of indexing time + inexplicable re-indexing of an external drive), and general poor performance (worse than Tiger on the G5, particularly Safari). OK, Mail is faster - big deal.

Plus, I thought that many of the UI changes were a step backward, although I do like Spaces. But I wouldn't use TM on a bet (see the many posts of TM destroying HD).

Thankfully, 10.5.1 has seemed to stabilize things a bit - can you install it? I haven't had a kernel panic in a few days. The Intel version seems a bit more stable than the PPC.

My advice, if you've backed up your data, reinstall Tiger and wait a few months.

Good luck.

- robin
G5 2 x 2.5 Ghz
MBP 2.2GHz

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Tiger. Would you simply do an archive and install or erase everything and re-install everything? If i do an archive and install, will all my aps that had to be upgraded for leopard work?

Thank's for your post.

Yvon.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Did you do an Archive and Install? I can't emphasize enough the importance of doing that from the very beginning. Go ahead and try it if you haven't yet, and see if your problems persist. They likely won't, from the experiences I've had (I've install Leopard on around 10 machines so far without any major issues).

jW

I did and archive and install twice and got the latest leopard upgrade and still the same.

Than's, Yvon.:mad:

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
That crash log looks like it's caused by a hard drive problem. You may have a failing hard drive ... this isn't necessarily picked up by Disk Utility. Clicking sounds are another symptom. You almost certainly have a hardware problem anyway.

Did you try a hardware test from the install DVD (boot with D pressed)? Still, even that's not the best way of finding problems.

I would suggest running another hardware testing application like TechTool. When I had a failing HDD, Disk Utility found no problems but TechTool Deluxe found bad sectors.

I've done three Leopard installs using the upgrade option with no problems.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
That crash log looks like it's caused by a hard drive problem. You may have a failing hard drive ... this isn't necessarily picked up by Disk Utility. Clicking sounds are another symptom. You almost certainly have a hardware problem anyway.

Did you try a hardware test from the install DVD (boot with D pressed)? Still, even that's not the best way of finding problems.

I would suggest running another hardware testing application like TechTool. When I had a failing HDD, Disk Utility found no problems but TechTool Deluxe found bad sectors.

I've done three Leopard installs using the upgrade option with no problems.

Thank's for your post. I will try to have access to another hardware testing application and see what happens. I did run the very long (3 hours) hardware test from the install disk and everything was fine.

Yvon.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
By the way, doing a Google search with "ATA Device recovery failed" finds several reports of KPs with PPC hardware.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
I've had a whole list of problems with Leopard on my G5 quad.......doing a clean install has fixed almost all of them except one.....Soundtrack Pro doesn't work....I've already started a thread about this, but there hasn't been any responses:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/389689/

I'm also thinking about switching back to Tiger...

if there isn't a solution, that was an awful waste of money to switch to Leopard...

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I've had a whole list of problems with Leopard on my G5 quad.......doing a clean install has fixed almost all of them except one.....Soundtrack Pro doesn't work....I've already started a thread about this, but there hasn't been any responses:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/389689/

I'm also thinking about switching back to Tiger...

if there isn't a solution, that was an awful waste of money to switch to Leopard...

I know exactly what you meen.........good luck with your problem....

Yvon.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
As later posters have pointed out, this and other symptoms points to hardware. Good luck!

jW

Going to my local Apple Store tomorrow at noon. Will keep you guy's posted. Probably be out of this machine for at least a week. I will at least be able to sleep.

Thank's, Yvon.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I am not at all convinced that the problems you are experiencing are hardware related. Still, it is possible. I think we might all agree that it is a rather interesting coincidence that your problems occurred with your G5 precisely when Leopard was installed.

I have a G5 that has experienced more kernel panics in the last week (four and counting) that in all of the previous years of running OS X. From my observations of my own machine and the comments of others I think the following is a more likely scenario:

1) Leopard is inherently less stable on PPC Macs than Intel Macs. My unscientific analysis of forum posts suggests more folks are having problems with PPC machines.
2) It is possible that error recovery in Leopard for PPC is different than for Intel based systems.
3) Minor hardware errors that were handled by Tiger are not so well handled in Leopard, and may masquerade as a hardware failure.

I wouldn't hold my breath that you will find a hardware solution, but I certainly hope that is the case. Of course, one way to test this is to go back to Tiger - if the problems go away, you have an answer, even if it is unsatisfying.

Good luck ...

- robin

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
^^^ personally, if it is a hardware failure causing all of us these problems on PPC systems......I would much rather go back to Tiger instead of having to pay MORE money to fix a machine that was working PERFECTLY in Tiger....

it doesn't make sense to fix something if it was never broken...

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I am not at all convinced that the problems you are experiencing are hardware related. Still, it is possible. I think we might all agree that it is a rather interesting coincidence that your problems occurred with your G5 precisely when Leopard was installed.

I have a G5 that has experienced more kernel panics in the last week (four and counting) that in all of the previous years of running OS X. From my observations of my own machine and the comments of others I think the following is a more likely scenario:

1) Leopard is inherently less stable on PPC Macs than Intel Macs. My unscientific analysis of forum posts suggests more folks are having problems with PPC machines.
2) It is possible that error recovery in Leopard for PPC is different than for Intel based systems.
3) Minor hardware errors that were handled by Tiger are not so well handled in Leopard, and may masquerade as a hardware failure.

I wouldn't hold my breath that you will find a hardware solution, but I certainly hope that is the case. Of course, one way to test this is to go back to Tiger - if the problems go away, you have an answer, even if it is unsatisfying.

Good luck ...

- robin

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a very strange coincidence but i can afford loosing my Powermac for the next few days and if they don't find anything, i'm back to Tiger. I'll just have to work on my very stable Macbook Pro for the next few days. I also beleive that it's a PPC chip problem and that they just won't admit it.
Maybe i'm naïve but i would truly appreciate a little bit of honesty from Apple in this situation. I think i would accept if they told me to go back to Tiger for a few months and try Leopard again after the next update.
I guess like most of you guy's, i'm a very loyal Apple customer. I have 4 macs, a couple of apple tv and ipods so i kinda think i deserve to be treated like so. Like i said, i'm naïve....
Thank's.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
^^^ personally, if it is a hardware failure causing all of us these problems on PPC systems......I would much rather go back to Tiger instead of having to pay MORE money to fix a machine that was working PERFECTLY in Tiger....

it doesn't make sense to fix something if it was never broken...

Doesn't cost anything to have them run a few hardware test but i think your dead on. If they don't find anything, i'm back to Tiger.
Yvon.

chris.niziolek

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2006
Chicago, IL USA
From looking at the panic log you posted, it does look like a hard drive problem. When I had a hard drive problem on my MBP there was a lot of clicking and kernel panics that looked like your panic log. What did the guys at the apple store say?

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Hello again.

Was just on the phone with my local Apple Store and they are changing my hard drive and mother board on my Powermac. So, i guess i will be giving Leopard another chance in about a week. Just tought you guy's would be curious.

Thank's for all your help.

I will write back after re-installing Leopard.

Yvon.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
Do you use Final Cut Studio?

That's where most of my problems were...it'd be cool if you did, so I could know if the mother board and HDD would fix that...

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
Not such a big coincidence having a hard drive fail after an OS update. After all, updating the OS necessitates an unusually large amount of disk activity (especially with an archive and install). The drive could have been failing before, but the symptoms hadn't cropped up yet. It's something that has been reported quite a few times in the past.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Do you use Final Cut Studio?

That's where most of my problems were...it'd be cool if you did, so I could know if the mother board and HDD would fix that...

Yes i was using Final Cut Studio 2 but to be not realy since Leopard. Mostly Photoshop, inDesign and all Apple apps.

Yvon.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Not such a big coincidence having a hard drive fail after an OS update. After all, updating the OS necessitates an unusually large amount of disk activity (especially with an archive and install). The drive could have been failing before, but the symptoms hadn't cropped up yet. It's something that has been reported quite a few times in the past.

I agree but why didn't my hardware test show anything wrong with my drive? It's kinda funny that both my drives, since i had two in my Powermac, failed after Leopard ???????? Very strange......

Yvon.

Flyyvon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Hello guy's.

I just re-installed everything (with Leopard) on my Powermac and it's been two days without and problem's. I'm leaving my computer on all the time so i soon will see if it will keep this path.

Will update in a few days.

Yvon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.