upgraded my iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deluxe498, Jan 1, 2009.

1. deluxe498 macrumors newbie

so ive been an iphone (1st generation) user since june and i got it replaced due to issues with it.......

up to about 2 days ago my iphone was in immaculate condition. it was as if it was right out of the box....i took really good care of it...

i had wanted to upgrade to the new 3g...so i looked on craigslist and i found someone selling a 3g iphone for 300 16GB...

it sounded to good to be true so i took the trip of traveling 1 hr to check it out. turns out it was not a fake. it was an elderly lady selling it because it was too much technology for her.

I BOUGHT IT! I WAS SO EXCITED. IT WAS A BLACK IPHONE 3G 16GB!
    for only 300

that same night i sold my first generation iphone for 250. turns out i only paid 50 for an iphone 3g!! since i didnt pay anything for my first iphone. long story short....it was paid off by an old ass phone i had.

so my new 3g only cost me in reality $50 dlrs. i am so excited to be using my new 3g! just wanted to share my story with all you guys. here is a screen shot of the listing.

[​IMG]

2. Shawn D macrumors regular

sweet deal man, what problems were you getting from your 1st gen? and how are you liking the 3g

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Definitely a nice deal buddy! You made out!
    Hope you are liking your 3G!

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

You should have known it was a granny by the table cloth. :D

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Good deal, but I have a little better story.

I had bought my iPhone back on June 29th, after waiting in line for 4 hours. I took great care of it, never dropped it. In Spring, I sold a few iPhones on eBay, so I knew pretty much everything on what works and what doesn't for selling the iPhone.

I bought that iPhone for $550 including a case and tax.
    Then the $100 credit came out, meaning my asset was now $450 to me.

I sold my iPhone 4GB on eBay 2 weeks before the 3G was released. I sold that iPhone for $420 to someone that happened to live about 20 miles away. I gave him the case and everything, and helped him if he had any problems.

I lost $30.

But here is the good part. I didn't do those reviews in my sig for free. :)

6. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

It is interesting that the iPhone was too much technology for her but she was able to post a listing on craigs list with pictures and everything.

I have been burnt (sort of) on craigs list before so I am very skeptical of granny stories. I bought an SLR camera from this guy who told me he lost his job and needs to sell all of his stuff. He even brought his little daughter in the car when he dropped off the camera. Everything looked good, camera seemed to work fine so I gave him his money. After taking the 5th picture the camera locked up. Taking out the battery was the only way to reset it which would work again for another 5 shots. So the process was take 5 pics, take out battery, take 5 pics, take out battery, take 5 pics... Clearly this guy knew the problem and gave me some BS story. I don't even know why he gave me the story because thats not what made me buy the camera. I bought it looked brand new without a single scratch in it.

I was able to easily fix the camera though so the joke is on him! All I did is set it to fastest shutter speed 1/40000 and held the shutter button down to rapid fire. This loosened up the shutter and it worked perfectly for a year until I traded it in for a newer model.

7. deluxe498 thread starter macrumors newbie

well the problems i was haveing with the first iphone was that the battery life was very bad....i would be texting and within 3 hrs the battery would drain...(of course i bought it off of craigslist) but i took it to apple and they exchanged it, no questions asked...

but with the replacement i had absolutly no issues!! i even gave the guy who bought it a 1 week warranty. which i think is fair.

and for my 3g.....i absolutly love it!!! it feels soooo much better in your hands. i just love it. the battery is not as good as my replacement 1st gen...but i can live with that. and ive tested the entire phone out and it works just as it should. i shouldve upgraded when it first came out.lol