Upgraded my late 2008 LCD. It's possible, and what a difference! Added pics.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ptsube, May 13, 2010.

1. ptsube macrumors 6502

I was deciding if I wanted to try and upgrade the panel on my late 2008 Unibody Macbook, or buy a new Macbook. Well, since the only problem I have with my current Macbook is the LCD, I decided to save a lot of money and just get a new LCD.

I do a lot of CS4 work as well as everyday stuff on this. So, I don't need top of the line, but I needed something a lot better than what I had.

My original LCD was an LG-Philips LP133WX2-TLC1, Apple part 9C89(shame on Apple for ever even using this panel). So, after a lot of research I decided to buy an LG-Philips LP133WX3-TLA2. Now, my Macbook ID's it as a LP133WX3-TLA1 (9C9F), which is an earlier revision. But that's fine, it is definitely a TLA2.

I bought a few tools:
    Heat Gun $9.99 instore
    Suction Cup $2.99
    Tape $7.74
    LCD Cleaner $10.87
    LCD Panel LP133WX3-TLA2 $110

So after following this video(three parts) on youtube, I was able to replace the panel.

You have to have a lot of patience, but it certainly paid off. When I turned the MB on it detected the new display and changed the default calibration. The default calibration is perfect. I can see every level of black, and the colors pop.

If you try this, the responsibility is all yours. If you melt your MB with the heat gun, it is your own fault. The Devil may put the thought in your head, but you are the one to carry out the deed. Hold yourself responsible, no one else.

Added a couple pictures. The first is the old panel, second is the new panel. Not a perfect comparison, the first picture isn't focused as well as the second. Pictures were shot with a 3GS. The first picture has a faint red light on the keyboard. And the second picture, the keyboard light is turned up a little. In both pictures the glass is removed. That is why you can see the light leak at the bottom from both screens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Where did you buy the panel, and do you have any resources with information about which panels are compatible with which MBPs?

3. ptsube thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got it on Ebay. If you search the model number, there are several sellers. What model MB do you have? If it's a recent model, I don't know that I would bother. The recent models have good displays. But if you have a late 2008 MB, then it's worth every penny. The LG A1 model I think is a little cheaper than the A2 model. Then there are the AOU panels which are really good, too.