Upgraded PowerBook SSD reinstall.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Archduk3, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Archduk3 macrumors member

So I felt it was time to upgrade my 12" PowerBook with ssd and more ram. And that worked. But then I realized I had to reinstall it. My PB of course has a broken DVD so I busted out my dmg of the disc and put it on a USB stick. Manage to boot and everything, BUT!

When I want to install to the ssd drive it claims it can't unmount the drive.

The image was made with a mbp, does that create a problem intel vs ppc?

Or is it the fact me using USB that I can't unmount solely run on the stick to install. I have a FireWire drive that I haven't tried to use yet but I am about to try, if that does not work, what is my last resort?

2. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

No bump. I just need to add more info. My friend has the 10.5 first edition disk and that didn't work either. But the tiger 10.4.6 found the drive and could start install at least. What is the issue?

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I am really not sure you can boot from a disk image...

4. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Done it before running over FireWire installing to a 5400 rpm drive.

5. pistooli macrumors regular

I have installed Leopard onto my iBook (below in my sig) from a dmg restored to a firewire drive (iPod), so that should not be the problem.

One had also problems with Leopard and SSD in a PowerBook:

Cannot install Leopard on SSD

6. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. Same setup, no solution at the apple link...

7. pistooli macrumors regular

8. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

How did you do it then?

9. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I would try the following

Cloning over your previous install?
    Getting an external CD drive
    Sticking the SSD into an external firewire case

Which SSD did you buy? Is it SATA? how did you connect it to the PB? Maybe the connector bridge is faulty?

10. pistooli macrumors regular

I used Carbon Copy to clone the content of an existing install, but also did regular install from an iPod (restored install disk). That was a 32GB Runcore iV SSD as far as I remember, btw, I think make and model matters in a mac.

If you have it in your PB, then I would clone the system from the old HD to see if it boots ok.

11. Archduk3, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I installed leopard to the FW drive. Started cloning, all worked well until 2.32 gb, got stuck at some stupid icns file and has been stuck for an hour now.

Ideas?

Epson scanner icns just do you know.

12. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

It's the owc 40 gig IDE drive which I do know is compatible. I didn't install it, had it done at the apple repair dealer.

13. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Update!

Cloning worked I guess. But now when I start without the FW drive I just get stuck at the grey apple.

14. pistooli macrumors regular

well. if the PB boots from the freshly installed Firewire drive, and after cloning that to the SSD it does not boot...

try to boot in verbose mode to see possible error messages.

15. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any special way you have to clone it to make is bootable?

16. pistooli macrumors regular

if your ssd (target) is partitioned as Apple Partition Map (not guid, not mbr), then cloning will make it bootable. I personaly use Carbon Copy.

17. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

So I tried carboncopy by itself on the powerbook. It completed but did not manage to make it bootable. Just got stuck at the grey apple with the thinking bar.

Then I hooked it up to my MBP and put the powerbook into target mode and tried again, it even went worse, carbon copy was slower, and superduper refused to go further than 160 files.

Whats next suggestion?

I mentioned this all to the guys at OWC and they said that if this didn't work they claimed the drive to be broken :/

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If you are sure you formatted in APM it's a partition option in Disk Utility not just GUID, then send it back..CCC dor Super Duper will copy the partition map nor will they give you an alert saying its not right because it is just not for PowerPC. If your sure everything was done correctly send it back, something is not right it's just not this hard.

19. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I guess thats it :(

I'll do a last teest using superduper through the powerbook instead of the mbp and see if it helps.

20. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The only reason I ask about the APM is it's easy to forget..

I have SSD in all my intels, and have replaced the HDD in all of the PowerPC's and I've never had to go through the machinations that you have..You have far more patience than I do.

21. Archduk3, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Well being a poor student is excuse I guess.

Contacted OWC customer support and basically the gave me a return number in less than a minute. I guess thanks to that Apple forums link posted before in the thread we know it isn't just a one time event.

New drive will arrive in 2 weeks hopefully. And if that does not work, I dont know what to do.

Luckily I have my 5400 rpm drive left so I can still use it.

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My gut feeling is you probably paid about as much for your OWC SSD as I did for any one of the 3 SSD I have..It's just needs/wants/desires in relation to income. Hopefully the new one goes better! That SSD would make that PB FLY!

23. pistooli macrumors regular

I really would love to know the final result. I was considering buying the very same type of ssd from OWC for my iBook. They advertise those for PBs and iBooks.

Please let us know whenever your replacement drives arrives and installed.

24. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

I will.

Also I will ask the repair guys to test the drive to see what's wrong if in best case they just attached it wrong :/