Upgraded ram 4GB = increase in wired memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddoonie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ddoonie macrumors regular

Quick question.

I have upgraded to 4gb of ram (2.4ghz MBP) today, and noticed my wired memory has jumped from 120 or so to 480mb. I repaired permissions, resent pram, cleared caches etc...

Is this normal? An increase in total memory, increases wired memory? When adding up processes, i cant see it adding up to 480 in wired memory.

What are you normal numbers?

Attached Files:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Short answer: Don't worry about it, let OSX manage the memory how it likes.

The only thing you need to watch is the PageOut values, that they stay lower than 10% of the page Ins - ideally less than 5%.

Your PageOuts are zero, which means you are running at maximum RAM efficiency.

3. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

Just the person i wanted to hear from. Thank you for your help and knowledge on these forums!!

4. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

If anyone else was wondering, another very helpful person provided me this.

http://developer.apple.com/document...tual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

this is the interesting paragraph

Wired data structures are also associated with the physical page and map tables used to store virtual-memory mapping information, Both of these entities scale with the amount of available physical memory. Consequently, when you add memory to a system the wired memory increases even if nothing else changes.