Upgraded RAM to 8GB, max 4GB used

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tanto, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Tanto macrumors member

Tanto

I just put a SSD in my MBP mid-2010 with a clean install of Lion and then I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB. The OS (Info about this Mac) shows 8GB installed but when I have PS CS6, PS Bridge, Safari, Chrome, and Starcraft II my activity monitor will only show a max of 3.96 GB used. I am wondering if my MBP is somehow not able to utilize the extra 4GB that I just put in there.

I tried a PRAM reset which did nothing but want to make sure that I am going to be able to put that extra RAM to use.

2. markus843 macrumors regular

Maybe try uninstalling one of the programs and install it, and see if it still says 4gb?

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Make sure you didn't make the same dumb mistake I did when upgrading my Mac Mini - not pressing firmly enough when inserting the second stick.

Your MBP can handle 8 GB

4. Tanto thread starter macrumors member

Tanto

Did your Mac Mini show 8GB installed like my MBP does?

My computer shows 8GB installed in two 4GB chips which is correct in System Info and also in Activity Monitor.

As soon as I can see more than 4GB used on my system, I'll be a good.

----------

Well, I reattacked the issue and opened up LOTS of pages in my browser with all the stuff I did before and got it down to 3GB free so looks like the system is able to use it.

After a couple normal resets it seems like my system is adjusting to the extra RAM it now has.

Always knew that my model MBP would be able to handle it, as per Apple's guidelines but I just needed to see to believe.

5. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I was reading through the reviews on Newegg for memory, and a few reviews said that the 2010 models had issues while the 2009 model that he also tested didn't. 2011 and 2012 models seemed fine from the reviews.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I misread your post. No, mine showed 8 (the upgrade was to 16) in System Info. If yours was showing the full amount in System Info and Activity monitor there was nothing to worry about.