upgraded RAM, what to do with old sticks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by euphoriuhh, Feb 9, 2012.

1. euphoriuhh macrumors newbie

so, I just got an Early 2011 MBP and upgraded to 8gb RAM myself.

Just wondering.. any suggestions on what to do with the leftover 2x2gb sticks?

I don't really have another computer that needs them. Is there a market for them at all?

2. MrBullet macrumors member

Sell them to a friend or friend of a friend is probably the easiest thing to do. Not too sure on the market for used RAM.

3. simsaladimbamba

You can also keep it, in case you ever have to send the MBP to Apple, as it can happen, they replace the upgraded RAM upon return with the original amount of RAM you purchased the MBP with.

4. MrBullet macrumors member

Why is this? I would have thought once you've purchased the MBP it's yours to change without voiding the warranty or does increasing the RAM void the warranty?

5. simsaladimbamba

Replacing RAM in MBPs does not void the warranty, but sometimes Apple just replaces the RAM found inside with the standard RAM they use. The same goes for the HDD. It does not happen often, but it does.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You won't get much out of it. I sold my 4GB to a member here for $15.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

yep thats about right, but $15 is better than them layin around collecting dust & goin to waste :p

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

9. EEXOOO macrumors regular

I use them as backup just in case my 8GB rams fail.

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Keep it so Apple won't give you a headache when you take it to the Genius bar for repairs. 4GB is worth nothing.

11. trikky macrumors regular

I keep my old sticks, since I know others with Macs. I have been able to help them out with RAM upgrades by giving them the RAM (if suitable for their machines) I would have otherwise discarded or maybe sold real cheap anyway.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Right because there are stories about how apple can sometimes replace the config you have with their standard 4GB.

13. camardelle macrumors 6502

I'll be upgrading ram on my MBP soon from OWC and I'll use the leftover sticks in my iMac.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i kept mine incase i have to bring mbp to apple, not that changing them voids your warranty but if they say sorry we have to replace the mbp you could loose you upgraded RAM and HD

15. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

16. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I had a similiar situation last year. At the time I only had the MBP, and didn't think I would get another mac. Sure enough I needed a htpc, and found a good condition used mini to fit my needs. I quickly upgraded my 2gb mac mini with the 4 gig's I had kept.

17. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

This. I have had to use my stock RAM when I had to RMA my faulty replacement RAM.

18. archdelux macrumors 6502

could you use the MBP ram in a desktop if you build it yourself? Or do desktops use entirely different RAM modules?

19. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

20. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

This. +2

I've had a set of Crucial RAM fail on me a month after purchasing them, but I got a free replacement from Crucial (lifetime warranty). Since I had the original RAM I didn't have to wait the several weeks to get my new set. That would've been annoying.

They use entirely different RAM. There's a trillion types of RAM among differing desktops as well. And notebooks have different RAM amongst other notebooks as well. It's important to know exactly what type your computer uses when upgrading.

21. Bear macrumors G3

Keep it in case your MacBook Pro needs warranty service. For some issues, Apple wants the APple supplied ram in it to prove that it is not the fault of the ram you added.

If Apple decides to replacer tyne machine you need the original memory in it so you don't lose what you added. (Of course if the machine is old enough when it's replaced you need to get different memory anyway for the new one.)

22. undesign macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me which macbooks are compatible with the RAM from an early 2011 MacBook Pro?

23. Idefix macrumors 6502

Apple refused to replace my motherboard under warranty because I had upgraded the HD and the RAM.

After arguing with a senior rep for 2 hours, I told them to send it back to because I still had the original HD and the original RAM: I would reinstall them and send it right back.

They folded and fixed it as it was.

24. undesign macrumors regular

Anyone know?

25. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

buy a BTO windows computer with like 16gb ram then put the 2gb sticks in it and return it