euphoriuhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
so, I just got an Early 2011 MBP and upgraded to 8gb RAM myself.

Just wondering.. any suggestions on what to do with the leftover 2x2gb sticks?

I don't really have another computer that needs them. Is there a market for them at all?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can also keep it, in case you ever have to send the MBP to Apple, as it can happen, they replace the upgraded RAM upon return with the original amount of RAM you purchased the MBP with.

MrBullet

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Bristol, UK
You can also keep it, in case you ever have to send the MBP to Apple, as it can happen, they replace the upgraded RAM upon return with the original amount of RAM you purchased the MBP with.

Why is this? I would have thought once you've purchased the MBP it's yours to change without voiding the warranty or does increasing the RAM void the warranty?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why is this? I would have thought once you've purchased the MBP it's yours to change without voiding the warranty or does increasing the RAM void the warranty?

Replacing RAM in MBPs does not void the warranty, but sometimes Apple just replaces the RAM found inside with the standard RAM they use. The same goes for the HDD. It does not happen often, but it does.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Keep it so Apple won't give you a headache when you take it to the Genius bar for repairs. 4GB is worth nothing.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
so, I just got an Early 2011 MBP and upgraded to 8gb RAM myself.

Just wondering.. any suggestions on what to do with the leftover 2x2gb sticks?

I keep my old sticks, since I know others with Macs. I have been able to help them out with RAM upgrades by giving them the RAM (if suitable for their machines) I would have otherwise discarded or maybe sold real cheap anyway.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
keep em. you never know...

I had a similiar situation last year. At the time I only had the MBP, and didn't think I would get another mac. Sure enough I needed a htpc, and found a good condition used mini to fit my needs. I quickly upgraded my 2gb mac mini with the 4 gig's I had kept.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
could you use the MBP ram in a desktop if you build it yourself? Or do desktops use entirely different RAM modules?

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
I use them as backup just in case my 8GB rams fail.

This. +2

I've had a set of Crucial RAM fail on me a month after purchasing them, but I got a free replacement from Crucial (lifetime warranty). Since I had the original RAM I didn't have to wait the several weeks to get my new set. That would've been annoying.

could you use the MBP ram in a desktop if you build it yourself? Or do desktops use entirely different RAM modules?

They use entirely different RAM. There's a trillion types of RAM among differing desktops as well. And notebooks have different RAM amongst other notebooks as well. It's important to know exactly what type your computer uses when upgrading.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Keep it in case your MacBook Pro needs warranty service. For some issues, Apple wants the APple supplied ram in it to prove that it is not the fault of the ram you added.

If Apple decides to replacer tyne machine you need the original memory in it so you don't lose what you added. (Of course if the machine is old enough when it's replaced you need to get different memory anyway for the new one.)

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Can anyone tell me which macbooks are compatible with the RAM from an early 2011 MacBook Pro?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Apple refused to replace my motherboard under warranty because I had upgraded the HD and the RAM.

After arguing with a senior rep for 2 hours, I told them to send it back to because I still had the original HD and the original RAM: I would reinstall them and send it right back.

They folded and fixed it as it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.