Upgraded to 1TB WD HD.... Now its running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evilnss, May 29, 2010.

1. evilnss macrumors newbie

So I have a MBP Unibody 13" 2.26ghz and i upgraded to 4gb of ram.

I did have an upgraded WD 640GB 5200RPM harddrive that i had, but i DJ with this laptop, so I need as much space as possible.

So I purchased the WD 1tb harddrive, and put that in my MBP and transferred all my music along with another 500gbs of music.

I use a program called "Virtual DJ" that hooks into a midi controller that i use to mix with.

before when only having 300ish gigs of music my computer ran like a champ, not lag, or anything. Now that I have upgraded to the 1tb harddrive and added another 500gb to my laptop, it runs ok, but not as quick as before and it lags every once in awhile.

ive watched my cpu and it will go from a 20% use to a 80% and then mellow out around 50% when im searching for music. My RAM thats free is about 1.5gb's.

So i'm wondering what I should do, would upgrading to the 8gigs solve my lagging issue?

John

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

What model number is your WD drive? Is it the 1TB version of the 500GB I have recently put in my MBP? (WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0)

The reason I ask is that these drives have some power-saving feature built-in which conflicts with the Sudden Motion Sensor built-in to Mac notebooks. This causes the drive to spin down and spin up every few seconds causing lag. You'll notice this by a faint clicking sound when you put your ear near the hard drive to the right of the trackpad. I remedied the problem. Just wondering if the issue is the same with yours first though.

3. evilnss thread starter macrumors newbie

WDC WD10TPVT

4. evilnss thread starter macrumors newbie

5. JustinBW macrumors member

Maybe something changed when you re-installed your DJ program. Not sure how you set up your buffer in the program, but if there is significant lag, maybe you need to adjust your driver's latency settings.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Did you reinstall or clone it over? I'm using the same drive and after I cloned it over, it was a bit slow, however using it for over a week the system got faster and faster. It boots up faster then the iMac with a RAID-0.

7. evilnss thread starter macrumors newbie

i used the migration assistant with my old HD in a USB shell

8. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I take you're not experiencing the spin down/spin up issue I was having :confused:

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Isn't the sudden motion sensor built into the hard drive it's self and not the computer?

10. vbman213 macrumors 6502

No. It is just a very sensitive accelerometer.

Not sure if you remember the usb "virus" that causes all your icons/menu bar to fall out of place and move around when you tilt the macbook? Well the SMS module is what is being used for this.

It is not built into the hard drive

11. evilnss thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I dont even hear this drive or feel this drive spinning, very silent!

out of 4gb total ram, to have about 1.2gb or less free at any given time, should i start looking into upgrading?

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I know you can buy hard drives with a SMS built in, and I thought the SMS on macintosh portables were part of the HD.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I only have 2GB of ram, usually with 3-5GB of swap memory in use at any given time.

How much data did you fill up?

Edit: Your 640GB is a 5400RPM hard drive, not 5200RPM. The 1TB is a 5200RPM drive.

14. evilnss thread starter macrumors newbie

I used 700gigs.

Oh I thought they both were 5200. Is that 200rpm going to be that big of a diference?

Anything I can do to speed it up?

15. joshwat macrumors newbie

can you tell me how you remedied it as i am having the same problem.