Upgraded to 3.1.2, having 3G data problems, BenM hack / AT&T Carrier file 6.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheShocker, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TheShocker macrumors member

First of all, sorry if this has been asked before or if this info is in another thread. Its finals week and I am just swamped. :eek:

I have a non-jailbroken 3GS, which I did the BenM tethering hack to when I was running 3.0, and I updated to the 6.0 carrier file to get MMS via this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=792908

I avoided upgrading to 3.1 and then 3.1.2 to keep tethering, but last week there were a few apps I wanted that required 3.1, so i bit the bullet and upgraded.

A few days later, I am having 3G data problems in places I normally always have no problems. It doesn't matter if I am at home, work, or wherever. It's not an AT&T dead zone issue. If I restart the phone, I have 3G data for about 15 minutes, then it stops working completely. If I restart, it's good for 15 more minutes, then nothing. No e-mail, safari, apps can access the internet until I restart. Wifi works fine.

I call AT&T and they have me reset my internet connection settings. This does not fix the problem. They tell me to call Apple.

I call Apple, they proceed to blame it on AT&T, but right before we hang up he asks me to read off my settings under the Settings > About menu for him just to be sure. When he hears me say I have AT&T carrier setting 6.0, he says, "wait, what?! That's not even a public release. Are you a developer?" I play dumb for a little bit, and he then tells me I have to do a full restore.

Is there any way to get everything working nice again without doing a full restore? I don't really care about tethering at this point, I would just like to avoid the hassle of a full restore if I can. With finals I don't have a lot of free time to get everything back the way it was.

Thanks for the help!!!

Seth

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If it's a non-jailbroken phone, then there shouldn't really be that much to "get...back the way it was." Everything, including Apps, should be synced by iTunes. Yeah, it may take 15 minutes or so to sync back up, but surely you can spare that much time?

3. TheShocker thread starter macrumors member

What will I lose if I do a restore? I was told by Apple that I would lose things.

Isn't it possible just to backdate to the original / 5.6 ipcc file?

4. TheShocker thread starter macrumors member

5. TheShocker thread starter macrumors member

Never mind. I restored and in the process itunes backdated to the 5.6 carrier file. Wish there was another way since I lost all my text messages, phone settings, game progress, app settings, including home screen layout...pain in the butt.