Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I upgraded my JB'ed 4.0.1 iPhone 4 to 4.1, and Limera1n'd it, and saw i had no FaceTime option, just restored again but not Limera1n'd and i still have no facetime button!

Each time i have to kick the phone out of recovery too... :S

Going to try setting up as a new phone now, see if it solves it, but i really don't want to start again :(

Anyone has a similar problem?

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Why though, i don't want to lose all my texts and settings etc.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
ugh i really didn't want to lose all my messages, i've still got a backup, anyway i could splice the 2 together? Create a good backup with my FaceTime working, and take the texts from the old one.

I'm fairly sure this can be done, i know it would require trawling through a lot of data, but im not sure how.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, but since you're so sure it can be done go for it:D

ugh i really didn't want to lose all my messages, i've still got a backup, anyway i could splice the 2 together? Create a good backup with my FaceTime working, and take the texts from the old one.

I'm fairly sure this can be done, i know it would require trawling through a lot of data, but im not sure how.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I've located what i THINK is the SMS Backup file, i've made a backup of a fresh phone with the facetime working, now i'll try to splice them together.

I basically know this won't work, but its worth a shot.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
you can try this, add this source http://iphonedelivery.advinux.com/cydia/ and apply the fix from this repo. This was needed for the very first jailbreakme jailbreak but this should have been fixed with an updated cydia. Did you do a complete upgrade in Cydia?

Or you can go to Settings - Reset all Settings.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Ok, took the SMS file out of an old backup, put it into the newest backup (Confirmed facetime works with a Touch 4G friend) and now restoring, and will restore from backup.

Hopefully iTunes doesn't say the backup is corrupt or something.

I also fixed my 1004 problem, forgot i'd changed the host file a while ago.

Edit - No i tried neither of them, i never had the problem when i originally JBMe'd, if the splicing doesn't work, i'll try that.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Right, splicing files didn't work, which i knew wouldn't tbh, just a long shot.

Now hopefully iTunes hasn't dismissed my Back Up i made earlier, so i can try the 2 fixes suggested.

Damn i wish they were suggested first!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
IIRC, if you pull a copy of the SMS db from the backup, you can SSH it back onto the phone after you restore as new. I haven't done this, so can't tell you how, but either Google or a search here should net you the specifics.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get it all worked out.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
I lost my FaceTime button when I upgraded to 4.1 last night. I was able to turn it back on in settings, though.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
ok, oddly seems everything is taking much longer this time...

Took about 10 minutes to restore the phone, and the back up restore is telling my 5 mins, said 3 last time i used this one!

The SSH thing will be my last ditch effort i think.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
If all you care about is your text messages, restore fresh.

Jailbreak and install OpenSSH.

Use iPhone Backup Extractor to extract the SMS database from one of your old iPhone backups (the newest created backup I suppose). It will be in the dumped folder somewhere, I don't recall exactly where offhand.

Then, use Cyberduck or some other SCP program to log in to your phone and copy the old text message database over the one put on the phone by the restore.

I was able to recover my wife's text messages this way.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Well, for some reason the old restore just worked this time, if i get any problems with using an old restore then i'll do that, but everything seems fine now.

Now to Limera1n and get all my cydia apps back :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.