iPad Upgraded to 4.3 and now can't activate...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by backbraker25, Jan 12, 2011.

1. backbraker25, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

backbraker25 macrumors member

Ok... I searched... guess i am the only moron to have upgraded to 4.3

Well i need some help now. I downloaded the latest beta of ios 4.3 for the iPad
    and installed it, everything seemed to have gone well however, i got the message below.

I have attempted to restore to the current version of 4.2 but i get a message saying that it cannot complete my request.

The weird thing about this is that i have downloaded many betas from this site in the past and never had any issues.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Ps. I'm clearly not a developer...

Attached Files:

2. Pared macrumors 65816

3. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When you "installed" the beta, did you restore or update?

When you tried to go back to 4.2, did you put your iPad in DFU mode?

5. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

I actually restored it and no, i didn't put it in DFU mode.

6. 3282868 macrumors 603

Check to make certain your hosts file is in order:

If you have jailbroken your iPad your hosts file may be blocking iTunes from approving your device for 4.3/4.2. Clear any system caches, etc. and reboot, maybe even reset PVRAM (doubt it has anything to do with it, but never hurts).

As you're not a developer, I assume you have registered your UUID with someone else who is a developer. Make certain your iPad is still registered under this person's account.

What else, hmmmmmm, let me think about a few other things and get back to you.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, put it in DFU, then restore to 4.2.1. If you feel like giving it another go, UPDATE, not restore, to 4.3 beta. Let me know if it works. ;)

8. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

It is not JB, and no my UUID is not registered with any developer.

I no longer have the option to 'UPDATE' from itunes, i can only restore it

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You restored back to 4.2.1 with DFU? And you still only have the option to restore?

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Why did you install this if you're not a developer? What were you thinking?

11. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, i get error 1015 and only have the option to 'RESTORE' 'UPDATE' is greyed out.

Thanks for your insightful comment.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So it's in recovery mode, right? If you don't have tinyumbrella, download it. When you run it there should be an option somewhere to "kick device out of recovery."

13. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried it, it reboots but remains in recovery mode. If i were to take it to the apple store would they be able to see that the baseband has been upgraded despite the fact that it is in recovery mode?

14. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

You need to have your UDID registered by a developer to get that to go away.

15. Jrigby macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat

I feel like a tool, but I have done the same thing.

Can't get into DFU mode, constantly get kicked back to recovery mode.

any/all help is appreciated

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You guys need to have your devices registered on a developer's account. Even then, the new gestures won't be available until you activate the device for development through Xcode. I just updated my 64GB Wifi iPad (which was running 4.2.1 jailbroken) and it worked fine. I got an error when I tried to simply update; I put it into DFU mode and restored and it worked fine. Once 4.3 was installed, I selected it in Xcode (Xcode|Window|Organize, IIRC) and clicked the "Use for development" button. I then rebooted the iPad, and the new gestures were available in Settings.

IOW, you need to at least be registered on a dev's account, and to enable the new gestures you have to provision the device (not sure that's the correct term, but whatever) in Xcode.

17. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

hate to be a d!ck but hes right. You shouldn't even have access if you are not a developer and you obviously knew that when you d/l it. I dont understand why people insist on doing this stuff knowing full well the consequences without researching first how to fix it if it fails - which of course it likely will.

Anyway, preaching is not going to cure the stupidity (and im not calling you stupid im saying you did a stupid thing knowingly vs innocently.)

That said, try using redsn0w to install a jailbreak version of 4.2.1 - I have found this can work to get you on 4.2.1 and rid of that message and then you can do a normal restore.

18. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Havent taken the plunge yet cause havent had time to read about the bugs. You finding it stable? Any major issues?

Also my developer account somehow lapsed and its taking awhile for it to be updated - very odd should happen right away.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Pretty stable so far, except for one recurring problem. The swipe-to-switch-apps gestures are great, but since iOS never actually closes apps, swiping to the left will take you through every app you have ever opened, which causes massive hangs with a black screen when the app has to load (e.g., that LEGO Harry Potter game you haven't played in weeks, which takes 45 seconds to load - black screen and unresponsive iPad for that whole 45 seconds until the game loads to the title screen) ... Now that it's easier to switch between apps, it would be great if unused apps would automatically clear out, for example when the iPad is powered off or even put to sleep. I really miss that Cydia tweak which closes all apps to the right in the switcher bar ... :(

Other than that, it seems pretty stable. Of course, it's only a point upgrade, so it's not like they've re-written large chunks of the OS like from 3.x to 4.0, etc. :)

20. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

yeh Switcher was a great app.

I know it a point but some nasty bugs have made it into these recent betas. Not a big deal cause i can go back to 4.2.1 but more curious than anything else.

21. Skeva macrumors newbie

I am a registered developer but have had my iPad locked also, how do i register it to unlock it , do i need the UDID number? But i cant that number when the iPad is locked!

Any suggestions on how to go back to 4.2?

Thanks

22. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

23. Skeva macrumors newbie

How do i register without UDID number?

Thanks

24. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

You can't unless you already have a dev account. Without, you will need to get someone that will register your ID.

25. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem as in the original post. I was trying to use my brother's Developer account (but he apparently "forgot" he hadn't activated it or paid the fees or something), and when I updated to iOS 4.3, it said unable to activate. I immediately tried to restore it and now all I get is reboot to Recovery mode.

I'm gonna try making a custom IPSW with redsn0w but if that doesn't work I'll have to take to an Apple Store 2 hours away. :( Any other ideas? I'd be willing to pay someone to add my UDID to their Dev account.