Upgraded to 8GB RAM, 16 GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Aug 5, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

So I just upgraded my 2011 MBP to 8 GB of Samsung RAM. Is it possible to go up to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)? I've read around about the topic, but I'm not sure. Also I'm into DJing and was wondering if I should add a SSD and take out the Superdrive. If so, what are some reputable brands and would be a fair amount or GB to buy, I already have 750 in my HDD and I don't want to blow 400+ $ on a SSD which I'm not going to use all of it's memory and is going to fail with time as many SSDs do.

Attached Files:

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

You are scare about blowing 400+ for ssd and thinking about 16gb ram? :eek:

If you still want it! It would cost you $1600 for 16gb of ram

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Here's the upgrade that you would be looking at: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S16P/ It'll be over 1300$ with tax..

There is also another kit on macsales that is 12Gb which is around 700$ but you really will not need it. 8GB will be fine for anything that you need to do. Right now my mac has 8GB installed and I haven't ever even gotten close to using it all. 16GB is a serious waste of money right now\

If you want an upgrade, get an SSD. They are much less likely to fail than a regular HDD and it will give you a big speed boost which you might want for DJing.