Upgraded to iOS5, Failed, Bricked iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GravityGrip, Sep 24, 2011.

1. GravityGrip macrumors newbie

So I upgraded to iOS5, nothing worked at all, just stuck on the "iPod" screen, so I attempted to downgrade.
    I downgraded iTunes, and did a manual restore and normal restore and it didn't work. Tried xCode but nothing worked. It's an absolute brick and nothing will work. Can anybody help with a manual work around of trying to restore it to factory without iTunes!? Help!

2. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Not possible

iOS 5 has not been released to the public.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Put your iPod touch in DFU mode.

Google it or search YouTube for videos.

4. GravityGrip thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried DFU, nothing.
    Literally tried everything and nothing works, just getting the iOS 5 set up until it says "This Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Programme". I don't want to end up with a brick :(

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

And the moral of the story...don't try to get ahead of the game.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not a brick. You just tried to upgrade to it before it has been released to the public. There are plenty of guides around showing you how to downgrade from iOS 5. This should help.

7. GravityGrip thread starter macrumors newbie

I've downloaded 4.3.5, put iPod into DFU, and then clicked on the point to file restore. It extracts it fine, but then on verifying iPod restore it says it's not eligible.

Is there a way around this, if not, does that mean there's nothing that can be done to save it? Or based on the iOS 4 beta experience(wasn't around with apple then), will iTunes update to the public newer version, and then allow me to upgrade to the iOS 5 public? Or must I look around for someone to add my UDID to a thingy and allow me to actually be able to modify it in iTunes easily?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I won't lie, adding the UDID will allow you to use iOS5.

If you want to downgrade you need to downgrade iTunes 10.5 beta as well.

9. GravityGrip, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011

GravityGrip thread starter macrumors newbie

I downgraded from iTunes 10.5 Beta 7, to the one on the Apple Site. Put iPod into DFU, and click on the restore and pointed it at the 4.3.5 file, and the same result of not being eligible. I literally feel like a complete fool who's just threw £100+ down the toilet.

10. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

I'm sorry to say you might be right about the fool part.
    However, with iOS 5 just around the corner, your device should become eligible, soon. You'll need to wait for iOS 5 public (You've got the developer pre-release, without being a developer), so Apple with sign and verify the upgrade.
    Not long to wait now :)

11. Detrias macrumors member

Worse case it will stop being a brick once iOS5 is in public release which should be any day now :O

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

People commonly confuse Recovery and DFU modes. They are not the same. If you see the iTunes logo on your screen, you're in recovery mode not DFU. Make sure your iPod is DFU mode.

I would put the iPod in DFU mode and try Xcode if iTunes won't downgrade it. Also, make sure you have the latest iPod touch 4.3.x firmware.