Upgraded to iPhone 4S, contacts gone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by araczek, Oct 17, 2011.

1. araczek macrumors member

Hi, when I got my 4S I did a sync to get a backup. I then upgraded iTunes. Went through the activation process and it restored just about everything, EXCEPT CONTACTS. What happened? A few months ago I had to switch to my sons iPhone 4 (he bought another phone) as I dropped mine and the screen shattered (splintered real bad). I did a synch then and didn't lose anything. So what's up?

Do I need to "Restore from backup"? If I do that what will get replaced or overwritten on the phone?

When you sync, what gets restored?

...AL

2. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Plug your iPhone into your computer, fire up iTunes. Once your iPhone shows up, select it and click on the "Info" tab and select "Sync Address Book." It's off by default because of the new OS, since they want you to buy Lion and sync via iCloud. :D

3. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This isn't really an answer to your question but do you have a gmail account? If so, I would highly recommend that you store your contacts there.

1. If you set up gmail as an Exchange account, all your contacts and any you add/remove will be instantly synced between gmail and your phone.

2. You won't have to worry about backing up/transferring whenever you switch devices in the future.