Upgraded to iTunes 11.4 and now I can't sync

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VelvetElegance, Sep 17, 2014.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

In preparation for the release of iOS8 today, I was prompted to update my iTunes to the latest version. What I didn't know what that 11.4 is optimized for 64-bit machines. As a result, during the install process, I got a random error message and now I can't sync my phone at all. I did some digging and it seems this is a known problem according to this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/threa...t sync my iPhone 5s-sync button is greyed out.

The problem is the work around for this involves deleting these files and reinstalling 11.3.1.
    /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework
    /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/MobileDevices.bun dle
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirTrafficHost.framework
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

I looked through my files and as best I can tell, I only have the first one. i deleted it and installed 11.3.1 but I am still having the same issue. I am unable to sync my phone. Does anyone know of any workarounds. How can I get an actual working copy of iTunes?

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

You could try the bundled solution in the thread,
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/26578380#26578380

This looks promising:
    "
    Success!! cwa2's instruction's are spot on. My iPhone is backing up and syncing again! I, too, am running OS 10.6.8, and I have reinstalled iTunes 11.3.1 and have iOS 8 on my iPhone 5s. Everything is working great!! Thank you!

In a nutshell:

Follow cwa2's instructions for deleting the iTunes 11.4 files.

Follow enee's direction to delete the MobileDevices.bundle

Follow Zak's link to download a copy of iTunes 11.3.1
    "

For me, I still have one laptop that has iTunes 11.3.1 and only it doesn't screw up the sync.

3. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

This worked..for the most part. It left my desktop unable to display folder icons, but at least I can sync my iPhone now.