upgraded to lion, but selling. how do i erase evrything?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johnnyindia, Jan 9, 2012.

1. johnnyindia macrumors member

Late 2009 i7 2" imac w/ Snow Leopard Disk.

I upgraded to Lion from app store.

I sold the computer and need to wipe all data and get it back running with snow leopard, but the original disks dont work now since i installed lion.

please advice the steps to complete this

THANKS!

2. simsaladimbamba, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Tried a Clean Install with a Secure Erase yet?
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

3. johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

it's not letting me use the CD at all.

i can get the lion install screen to open up with command + r - from there, what do i do to erase the drive (securely), then install snow leopard back?

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

You can reinstall Lion from the internet by holding down Option after the chime. This should bring up the internet recovery option.
    If it has the latest software updates this will show as an option now.

5. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

?

--------

Have you tried making a bootable USB? Btw, if you are using 10.7.2 you cannot downgrade anymore.. Sadly..

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can, with a CLEAN INSTALL, unless the machine came with 10.7 and there are no drivers for some components in 10.6.

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I was told otherwise by a dude at the genius bar. Just shows what they know...

8. simsaladimbamba

It depends on the Mac and what OS version it came with.

My 2007 iMac came with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, it went to 10.5 Leopard, then got 10.6 Snow Leopard and then 10.7 Lion. I can safely install 10.4 again, with a method called ERAS AND INSTALL, meaning I fully delete the volume with Lion on it and reinstall Tiger. For now that 2007 iMac runs 10.6, as Lion is not my cup of tea.

If you bought your Mac in 2011 or 2012, and it originally came with 10.6, and now runs 10.7, you can do a CLEAN INSTALL of 10.6 again. You can even install 10.6 on the 2011 Mac mini, which only came with 10.7, as the drivers were already available in 10.6.8. But a 2011 MacBook Air is a bit harder to run on 10.6, as there were some hardware changes, especially the Thunderbolt chip, for which there are no 10.6 drivers.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Because you upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion you CANNOT sell the machine with Lion installed due to first being in violation of the Software License Agreement (SLA) and the Lion installed being tied to your AppleID. You can ONLY sell the machine with Snow Leopard on it. To wipe the system put the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive, restart, when you hear the Startup Tone hold down the Option key and choose the SL install disc. Choose Language then click the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility and format the internal HD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This action will erase everything on the system!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once done exit Disk Utility and continue the Install and you're done.

10. johnnyindia, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

johnnyindia thread starter macrumors member

i still cannot get any of these methods to work.

nvmd. the above method seems to be working now

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

Does this method also erase a Bootcamp partition with Windows on it or will it leave it intact?