Upgraded to new MBP 13", how do I transfer files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjwang, Jun 18, 2009.

1. bjwang macrumors newbie

So I upgraded from from an old MB to the new MBP 13" and would like to transfer my files, iPhoto 08, and iTunes. I've decided to only transfer files, and not my apps or library in order to get a 'clean install'. I ruled out restoring from Time Machine for the same reason.

I tried to use Migration Ass't, and selected only 'Files and Folders', but when I finished the transfer and started my new MBP, I didn't see any of my old files. Did I do something wrong here?

My second thought is to just copy my files/iPhoto/iTunes onto my external HD, then copy those files over to my new MBP. The question is, how do I copy my iPhoto 08 and iTunes over so that it works with my new MBP? Can I just copy my entire Photos folder which contains my iPhoto library, and that will automatically work with iPhoto 09?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Ben

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I just had to do all this stuff a few days ago. Does your old MB have a Firewire? I transferred my files from a PowerBook G4 to my new MBP via Firewire. It was very simple.

You can also use an external HD. I assume you just want to transfer photos from iPhoto and mp3s from iTunes? The way you described will transfer all your photos. Just put your whole photo library in the same directory it came from. They're be on your iPhoto then. As for mp3s, do the exact same thing. But then you'll need to "import" these mp3s after you open up iTunes (as you will not readily see them in your mp3 library).

Good luck.

3. bjwang thread starter macrumors newbie

I have firewire on both Macs, and I also have an Ethernet cable, any recommendation on which is easier to set up file sharing?

So my iPhoto library is in my user/photos folder--I should therefore just copy my entire user/photos folder over and when I open my old iPhoto 08 library in iPhoto 09, it will automatically open it?

Same question on the iTunes--if I copy over my iTunes library file, will that allow me to keep my playlists?

Thanks again, Ben