Upgraded to OS X 10.6.8 and now having problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Naphtali, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Naphtali macrumors newbie

I have ignored my software updates for a month and finally decided to do them last night. Upgraded to 10.6.8 and ever since I did that many of my applications crash and will not open.

My Yahoo messenger build Version 3.0.1 Beta (235554)
    My copy of Toast Titanium 11 also no longer works.

Every time I try to open them they open then crash within a few seconds of trying to do something in the program. Every time I try to re-open the program it gives me a crash report.

Any info to why these things are happening to me?

Thanks

2. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Actually during software upgrade hard disk have to do a lot more tasks than usual tasks. As we know it spins while in use due to which it produces a lot of heat energy and it have to do intensive read or write operation on the drive due to which made data inaccessible. It seems that some of the files of both applications have been deleted during the upgrade I think re-installation of application may solve the problem.

3. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I suppose you could have had some directory damage, and then dumping all those files (the OS update) onto your drive overwrote parts of your applications. If so, there's probably no way to get them back short of restoring from backup or reinstalling.

Do this: run Disk Utility, select your drive, and click the "Verify disk" button. Did it find any problems? If not, you could always try downloading and installing the 10.6.8 Combo Update, with the hopes that your problems stem from a failed OS update and actually have nothing to do with your actual applications.