upgraded to snow leopard, need replacement apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furcalchick, Nov 5, 2009.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i recently upgraded to snow leopard, and most of my applications made the move smoothly with no problems, but a few were not so lucky. i would like to get some recommendations on what would be a snow leopard compatible alternative to the following apps.

1. mori
    max price: $50
    this has been my journaling app for nearly three years and it has run great on tiger, but the software hasn't been updated in a year and a quick google search has complaints about crashing on snow leopard. i use this mostly to write stories and for various journals, so my alternative has to do both. i've been trying out scrivener for a week, and it's decent for stories, but i want to try a few more before i stick with one.

2. disk inventory x (solved, no more recommendations please)
    max price: $5
    i've used this since day one as well, but it won't run with snow leopard period, and hasn't been touched in years. the others i have looked at charge too much. daisydisk is good, but not 20 dollars good i'm afraid.
    update: followed mysterytramp's advice on macheist and daisydisk.

3. ffmpegx
    max price: $5
    another ppc app that won't work for snow leopard. i've tried handbrake, but the process takes too long and it taxes my macbook for hours at a time. i want to find a free dvd ripping app that can run in snow leopard.

thanks!

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I use viJournal Lite -- it's free and works great with Snow Leopard. I believe it will compare favorably with Mori. There's a pay version, which includes iPhone support.

Get over to MacHeist, play the silly game and you'll get a free license for Daisy Disk.

mt

3. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thanks! just got it. i'll check your journal thing in a bit.

it wouldn't even mount on mine.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

MPEGStreamClip from www.squared5.com