Upgraded to Snow Leopard, Running SLOW?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kkamin, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kkamin macrumors member

When I was upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 my computer went to sleep. When I woke it up the installation window disappeared and was replaced by that spinning sun ray thing. I don't know if the computer actually went to sleep or looked like it went to sleep--I want to think that the computer couldn't actually go to sleep during an important function like a system upgrade.

But regardless the installation stopped working. I rebooted from the Snow Leopard installation disc and completed the installation. It seemed to remember where it left off and everything seemed fine until the reboot. Snow Leopard ran very, very slow. Like I had 6,000 fonts loaded and was running 6 intense programs at once. I am thinking the installation messed up since the computer crashed.

I am currently restoring my system from my Time Machine and will try the Snow Leopard install again.

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? Or some advice?

Best regards,

Kkamin

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

My preference is to erase the hard drive and do a clean Snow Leopard install. And then start with a clean Time Machine backup.

It may be the stalled upgrade caused your slowdown issue. On the other hand, if you search these forums you'll see others have had issues upgrading to Snow Leopard. Clean install is always the way to go imo.

3. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

If I do a clean install, how would I retrieve all my critical files from Time Machine? If I did a 'restore' with Time Machine after I did a clean install, it would revert the OS back to the old one. If I go into Time Machine and grab files, folder by folder, and bring them into the upgraded OS, it seems like a recipe for disaster.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

What happens if you run he install of Snow Leopard again. I know that if you run a Snow Leopard install on a computer that already has Snow Leopard on it, it will perform a "repair install".

I discovered this thing by accident when I couldn't boot into Snow Leopard. I ran the Snow Leopard install from the OS X disc but forgot to erase the partition. When the install finished, Snow Leopard booted up fine with all of my documents and applications intact and as they were as if nothing had happened.

I recommend giving that a try to see if it resolves your problem before attepting a clean install.