Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jono321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
United Kingdom
iMac 27 inch 2010 model 12 gig ram.

I performed my own ssd upgrade with a kit from OWC. It was a direct replacement of 1TB hard drive and a little scary but went well.

My fault probably for not reading instructions but I cloned my original hard drive with super duper via usb to the ssd which I had erased and formatted to Mac OS extended journaled. Should I have formatted to APFS?
I am running high Sierra 10.13.4.

It boots in just under a minute does that sound right? Lightning fast loading of applications.

Should I somehow reformat to APFS or leave as is. Apologies for newbie post.

Jono321

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Well, it's perfectly fine to have the SSD formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but you can convert the drive to APFS by entering Recovery Mode. To do that, first perform a backup of your drive with Time Machine then restart your machine and hold down Command (⌘) + R to enter Recovery Mode. Launch Disk Utility from the menu, select the Macintosh HD volume from the left-side (not the drive, but the actual volume) and select File > Convert to APFS... to begin the conversion process.

I would strongly recommend you perform a backup of the drive with Time Machine before you attempt to convert it to APFS in case the conversion fails – very unlikely, but possible.

Basically, the choice is yours. Keep it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or perform a backup and convert it to APFS.

Edit: Removed reference to macOS Mojave upgrade.

Last edited:

Jono321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
United Kingdom
Well, it's perfectly fine to have the SSD formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but you can convert the drive to APFS by entering Recovery Mode. To do that, first perform a backup of your drive with Time Machine then restart your machine and hold down Command (⌘) + R to enter Recovery Mode. Launch Disk Utility from the menu, select the Macintosh HD volume from the left-side (not the drive, but the actual volume) and select File > Convert to APFS... to begin the conversion process.

I would strongly recommend you perform a backup of the drive with Time Machine before you attempt to convert it to APFS in case the conversion fails – very unlikely, but possible.

Basically, the choice is yours. Keep it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or perform a backup and convert it to APFS.

Edit: Removed reference to macOS Mojave upgrade.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve got options if I want to go to APSF which is good.

If all’s well as I have it set up it might be best to leave it as it is.

I have time machine back ups via a 2 disk LaCie drive and I’ve won a bid on a secondhand LaCie D2 housing that I’ll put the original 1TB drive in so I’ll have it backed up several times.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

For High Sierra, I'd just leave it at HFS+.
It will run fine -- as you've already discovered.
Why mess with a good thing?

Actually, I wouldn't "move to Mojave" -- I'd just leave it at HS for the "rest of its life".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.