Upgraded to Yosemite, Now can't open iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by susolivas, May 13, 2015.

1. susolivas macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to OS X Yosemite, but now, when I try to open iPhoto, I get a "In order to open iPhoto, you need to update to the latest version."

So then I click on "Search App Store" which gives me the message "Item not available. The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." ???

How can I just go back to my last operating system and forget Yosemite? Help!!!

2. chabig macrumors 68040

In the App store, go to the Purchases tab. You'll find iPhoto in there.

3. susolivas thread starter macrumors newbie

What happens to my old iPhoto library?

But what happens to my existing iPhoto library then?

4. Fishrrman, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015

Fishrrman macrumors G3

The old library should be usable with the newer version of iPhoto.

In my own case, I got the same alert that you did.
    IIRC, I was UNable to simply open the App Store app and upgrade to the newer version of iPhoto -- UNTIL I deleted the OLD version first (from the applications folder). Then I was able to download a new copy (version 9.6.1).

Suggestion:
    If you experience similar problems, I would suggest making a copy of the old (existing) version of iPhoto someplace else on your drive before you delete it from the applications folder.

5. susolivas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Ahhh! Yes, it is there in Photos. Just scared me when I couldn't open my regular iPhoto. Crud. Now I'll have to learn all the new Photos stuff.. Thanks so much!

6. yusakyahya macrumors newbie

I moved iPhoto to the thrash bin, and it's gone, I can not find it in purchase menu or search menu.