Upgraded wrong iPad with AT&T during preorder

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tellemfred, Mar 28, 2016.

1. tellemfred macrumors member

I have 2 cellular iPads on my AT&T plan. I'm only upgrading one to an IPP since my wife barely uses hers. I thought I had the right iPad selected when I preordered but it turns out I was wrong when I later checked the phone number associated to my current iPad. Is this a simple fix? Can I just call them or visit a store when my IPP arrives on Thursday?

2. noodles5666 macrumors regular

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. tellemfred thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking but I have 0 experience with those cards so I wasn't sure.

5. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Will the iPads serial number come into play at some point? I'd ask AT&T to be sure. Aside from the paperwork trail doubt they would care either way.

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

As long as you're not using your wife's iPad as a trade in for credit towards the new one then it shouldn't matter. Just take the sim card out of hers and put it in the Pro. The serial numbers don't have any bearing on it, just as long as you are moving the device on the same kind of line. You couldn't take the sim card out of your iPad and put it in an iPhone since it's just a data line, it would technically still work but you'll have issues.

Long story short, don't worry about it, take the sim out of hers and put it in the Pro.

7. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Silly question..... but why would the cellular number of a data device be important?

8. tellemfred thread starter macrumors member

I don't know, that's why I was asking. This is my first experience replacing a cellular iPad. However, I do plan on selling the one I'm replacing so I guess I should make sure everything is in order before doing so.

9. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

You can switch out SIM card - did the same thing with my hubby's iPad. I actually had to get a different sim b/c I was going from iPad 3 to mini IPad and they sent me a new SIM card free of charge. You can also switch the upgrade eligibility from one device to another one in their portal (Or you could do that).

CHeers,
    Bobbie

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

In that case then yes, you need to make sure you correct it with AT&T. If for any reason you have an issue with your account it can be black listed from sending or receiving data (wifi will still work). If you sell it to someone and that happens it can be a real bummer for them, and it could potentially come back to you.

11. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Phone number doesn't matter but the old SIM gets deactivated when you activate the upgrade device. If OP used the wife's iPad by accident, then she'll lose LTE on her iPad. Easy enough to swap SIMs if SIM card is the same size. A hassle if one of the iPads use micro and the other is nano.