Upgrades and external hard drives...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iCeFuSiOn, Feb 26, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting a few things for my MacBook Pro and I wanted to consult with some of you first to make sure I get the best for my money.

1. External drive -- I'm looking for something 500 GB or so. Would I be better off getting a pre-assembled enclosure or the enclosure and drive separately? I don't want to install any extra software or anything on my computer, I just want to install it and have it work.

2. Possible RAM upgrade -- Right now, I've got 2 GB of RAM in my MacBook Pro. It's snappy, and I really don't notice it slow down unless I'm editing 15 or 20 images in Pixelmator (and these are by no means small images that I'm working with), would it really be worth it to top off my RAM at this point?

3. MacBook Pro accessories -- I've been considering getting something like the iSkin ProTouch keyboard protector for my computer and some other items, any good accessories that you guys can think of that would compliment my Mac?

Thanks for your time everyone, I look forward to seeing the answers before I make any final decisions.

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

1. You could do time capsule. I am in the same boat. I want an external drive to use time machine for my MacBook and an iMac Alum.

2. I would max it out. Prices are pretty good now and it's easy to do yourself.

3. I haven't gotten any accessories yet. I'd be interested in hearing what you get.

3. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forgot to mention, I also have 2 PCs and I might be buying an older PowerBook G3 to add to my collection, so it's a bit of a mix as to whats using the drive.