Upgrades for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smc333, Nov 15, 2010.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have a 2.4GHz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320M, 500GB HDD. This is my main to-go machine, as well as my clamshell with my ACD. I am planning on ordering 2 updates for the machine (Already ordered the first one, actually)

1. 500GB 7200.4 RPM Seagate w/16MB Cache.

2. 8GB OWC RAM upgrade.

I hear both of these are ridiculously easy upgrades to do, and this also allows me to upgrade my PS3 slim's HDD to 500GB!

Do you guys think this is a worthwhile upgrade for someone who writes code in XCode?

Also, does anyone know how to back up my iWeb site so I don't have to remake it when I format?

Thanks,
    smc333

2. BenFL macrumors member

Are you using timemachine? You could pull your iWeb folders from there.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I don't think you'll see much difference from this upgrade. Instead I'd recommended either a larger drive (up to 1TB) for space or SSD for speed. One option is to get a 60GB SSD for about $100 After Rebate (OCZ is currently offering a rebate), and continue using your 500GB in place of the optical drive.

The migration assistant or time machine will both allow you to backup and transfer all your programs, settings, and documents.

4. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

So I found how to get the iWeb file, so that's all set.

Wouldn't the RAM help prevent disk swapping?

I'm a little weary of getting rid of the optical drive for now, I have used it occasionally on the road. And large SSDs, unfortunately, are a fortune and a half.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I have a mid 09 13" MBP, I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and recently installed the Seagate Momentus 500 GT XT Hybrid drive. IMHO both upgrades were well worth the investment. RAM is down in price right now and the performance despite what anyone says it loads faster and handles apps like Aperture much better. My boot time with the new Hybrid drive has dropped to about 22 seconds and opening apps I frequently use goes much quicker too.

IMHO don't get just a 7200 RPM drive, if you're going to get one get the Seagate Hybrid, it's SSD like performance for a fraction of the cost.

6. smchan macrumors member

I have the same machine and performed a similar upgrade. I went from 4G to 8G memory and from the stock 5400 RPM drive to a 500G 7200 RPM drive. I tend to use virtual machines and run lots of applications during the day, so the memory upgrade was well worth it.

I'd love to have a Seagate Momentus or SSD, but I'm still working on my CFO, Mrs Sam. :)

Sam

7. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm actually thinking of calling an audible. For $1529, I may buy the refurbished low end 15":

2.4GHz Core i5
    Use my 8GB of RAM here
    Use my 500GB 7200 RPM HDD Here
    Intel HD + nVidia 330M
    1440x900 screen

Does that seem to be a little more future-proof than a Core 2 Duo?

I would sell my 13" MBP to defer the cost.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

The underlying questions for any thoughts about "future proofing", i.e. guessing what your future needs are and whether the system in consideration will be adequate to meet those needs are:
    • Timeframe you're thinking within: 1 year, 2 years, 3 years
    • What you do with the system
    • Will advances in the software you use cause unacceptable performance?
    • When will those advances come out?

We all tend to fall for the marketing hype of needing the latest and greatest. It can be difficult to sort out the desire to be on par with what's new and cool vs what will adequately do the job.

9. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

1. Well, I'm looking for this upgrade to last me until I graduate, which will be December 2014 (switching majors pushed me back a semester).

2. I browse the web, use iWork, use XCode, and use Virtualization HEAVILY. It is not uncommon for me to have two VMs open, running things, as well as many things running on the OS itself.

3. Virtualizing Windows 7 by itself on a Core 2 Duo is already painful, with running Visual Studio inside, along with tasks on OS X, forget it on a C2D...

4. My guess is that with being a Comp Sci major, these advances will just continue to roll out, and I just feel like a C2D is already behind the 8-ball a bit.

So I was considering either the i5, or the i7, both refurbed. Or going for the low end i5 with a high-res screen (though I have a 1680x1050 Aluminum 20" ACD that I use in my dorm in clamshell...)

Thanks.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't do much with virtualization, but my understand has been that its very memory hungry. Have you determined if the bottleneck is truly the CPU or is really the available RAM?

11. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

The i5 almost doubles the C2D in synthetic benchmarks, so surely that will help? Plus it also has directed I/O, a big help.

12. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Well a 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid is only about $130-$140 however if you already have a 7200RPM drive you're happy with I wouldn't even spend that I'd save it for something else.

13. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

Called another audible. I decided I don't want to give up portability, and, that much money...

So the 7200 RPM is in now. I just reinstalled OS X, and I do notice a marked improvement. Hopefully when I slap the 8GB of RAM in there tomorrow or thursday, things will look pretty good.