Upgrades for Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 17inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LonezWolf1991, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LonezWolf1991 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    During january of 2010 I have purchased a 17" MacBook Pro for use in school. So it's been some time and Apple refreshed the macbook line quite a few times, making them faster and such. What I was thinking, is that maybe I should make an upgrade or two, just to have the thing running super fast :D

What I *WILL* do is upgrade my ram to 8GB, with either G.Skill or Crucial modules, since it would improve my Windows XP Virtual machine.

What I want to ask is, would anyone suggest upgrading the HDD to a SSD? I have the 500GB 7200RPM drive, with it never exceeding 100GB used. I do coding on it, occasional photoshop, few light games from app store and some microsoft office work along with a windows xp virtual machine every now and then. I was looking at the Intel SSDs at sizes 120GB and 160GB...Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! :eek:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously people will recommend an SSD if you can afford it.

3. LonezWolf1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I kinda figured, but this is the first time I'm getting into the whole SSD business. I've been seeing that a lot of people use the Intel SSDs, but are there better ones out there? or is intel the best one for mac?