Upgrades - MacBook Pro 13" mid 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexwithad, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I'm looking to make a minor upgrade to the mid 2009 2.26 core2duo. Right now it has 4 gb of ram and 320 gb 5400 rpm hard drive, I was thinking of either upgrading my hard drive to 7200 rpm or would it be worth it to upgrade to 8gb ram which is only $65? I'd rather go with a new hd and maybe even get the seagate momentux xt hybrid but if the ram would be more noticeable then I'll go with that for now and get the hdd later.

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Forget the RAM, just go and get a SSD.

The Momentus XT is a bit troublesome in Macs, according to a few folks on this forum.

3. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool so I'm definitely upgrading my hd now. I'm thinking either a nice large 7200 rpm hd or the 500 momentus xt hybrid.

4. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I have the Momentus XT 500Gb in my late 2008 15". It's recommended!

Performance seems subjectively much snappier as I mainly use the same apps (and hence exploit the 'hybrid' nature to the maximum). I'm on firmware SD25 and have had no problems so far (fingers crossed).

There is no noticeable vibration, however there is increased noise compared to the stock 5400rpm HDD. Not sure on the impact on battery life as rarely use this laptop without a charger.

Some people on this forum have had problems with this drive, but I think a large number are completely satisfied as well. Just be sure to keep backups!

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

A solid-state drive will give you the best results, but it is also the most expensive option. I feel like a 7200 RPM drive will be more noticeable over a 5400 RPM drive than 8 GB of RAM will be over 4 GB of RAM, depending on what you are doing of course.

Monitor your RAM usage and determine whether or not 4 GB is actually enough for what you use the computer for. If so, then I would surely look into a regular 7200 RPM or hybrid drive.

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

I love my Momentus XT. I sold my SSD for it.

Here's how it performs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMldqf5oUZw
    As far as I know all problems have been fixed with SD25 firmware.

7. Alexwithad thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn that's nice! When you say the problems have been fixed with the firmware would I have to do that and if so what would I have to do?