? upgrades on new iMac 21.5 inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cohnas, Aug 3, 2014.

1. cohnas macrumors newbie

I am looking to replace my 8 year old iMac with a new 21.5 inch model--not the base one. I do a moderate amt of still photo editing, net surfing, etc. all for personal and not business use. Would it be advisable to have Apple upgrade my Ram to 16 Gig? I was able to personally upgrade Ram on my present machine , but was told that is not possible on the new ones. What advantage would the extra 8 Gig provide? My son suggested the Fusion drive as well and what is your opinion of that vs. the regular hard drive or flash drive? I see that B&H has a model with a faster processor and a 256 Flash drive and I think with an upgraded video card, but I think the card supplied with the machine I want should meet my video needs. Thanks in advance for your opinions re-these issues.

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The 256/512 flash only. Get storage on fast USB3 externals. Fusion is a compromise, but many here like it for capacity. Ram is a matter of "can you buy it" and there's never been a strong argument against having as much as you can buy - EVER! It's always the "You can get away with it, if" or "You don't need it to run X, bla bla" as if it's a waste of money. It never is.

Good Luck

3. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

more ram=more multi tasking

personally apple ram is a rip off for there price.fusion drives are fast but you would get double the drives speed if not more on a ssd your apps/os would be flying

if 256 is enough go for it if not see if you can afford the 512 or buy refurb