Upgrades That The iPod Touch Really Needs!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DocDoom, Sep 12, 2009.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

I understand that the Masses are upset about the absence of a camera on the new iPod Touch. But the lack of These Essential upgrades truly disappoints me the most!

- Battery: (Duh) Shame on you Apple!

- Speakers: Still get the same, Low sound from the previous Touch. Argh!

- Radio Tuner: Even The Nano Has FM Radio, Come on!

- Microphone: Of course.

- Screen: Not to much to upgrade here, but something would of been nice.

- Chrome back (F@*#ING Scratches!)

That's just my opinion. I thought all these Upgrades would be a Given! Sadly, none of them were. What you guys think??

** Also, a Wifi switch would be nice too. Like the ones on laptops. That way you don't have to go into the settings to turn off Wifi when your trying to save battery that Apple, apparently, has not Upgraded. :)

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Battery: It has a battery. Of course it's an upgraded battery because the graphics processor and CPU require more power now.

Speakers: It's an iPod… not a boom box. Keep your sound to yourself… nobody wants to hear you playing your games anyway.

Radio Tuner: Is it the 90's or something? Who the heck listens to crappy FM radio? I know I don't. Also, technically it does have a radio tuner built into it, but the software doesn't currently make use of it.

Microphone: It has a microphone.

Screen: It could use a better screen. I agree.

Chrome Back: NO… keep the chrome. It signifies that it's an iPod and nothing else. If they switched to plastic, it would crack like the iPhone. I'll take chrome over plastic any day.

4. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

Since they are marketing it as a pocket computer (well kinda) last time I checked pocket computers can be hooked up to monitors and/or you can attach a keyboard and mouse

5. MegaDell macrumors member

GPS wouldn't work. GPS requires constant connection, something that can't be done on the ipod touch. You'd have to pay for that, extra.

6. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

Actually the Estimated battery time has decreased. For music at least, from 36 hours to 30 hours. I heard the original iPhone had louder speakers then the Touch, maybe apple should put those in. And no, it does not have a microphone, only Headsets with a mic, but not one built in.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Still has the same video playback time.

Also, a headset with a mic is still a mic.

8. MegaDell macrumors member

Here's the thing. Those headsets apple sells with their ipods? They SUCK. They are the worst. Garbage. Crap. I would NEVER use those things, never, they have the worst audio ever. It doesn't matter what kind of bitrate you have your songs on, anything will sound like bad through them.

So, t hose things essentially for me, would be just another annoying thing I have to carry around to utilize a feature. A more simple option would be to, oh I dunno, build it into the ipod.

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Ever heard of a handheld GPS device? Does it have Wifi? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. memo90061 macrumors 6502

I would want an FM tuner. I like listening to the radio sometimes.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I disagree. I think the stock headphones sound fine.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah good luck with that. And if it's a pocket comp then gps would be nice.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

+1.

Also, you can get any headphone set you want and attach a microphone to it. So his point was invalid. He talks about the quality of the headphones, but that doesn't mean that you can't attach a microphone to it.

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

and I think that if people don't like the audio quality from the stock headphones then they are being too picky. I must be non-picky with my audio, but I can turn it up loud and it will be noise canceling just like $100 headphones. :p :)

15. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Sorry. I'm no audiophile by any means, but the difference between the stock buds and a good pair of IEM's, or my Grado SR-60's is incredible. I didn't even open the buds on my last iPod.

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I never said they sounded like an expensive pair. I can tell the difference too. But for casual listening they are just fine.

17. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Stuff that I want:
    - Built-in Microphone
    - GPS
    - Compass

Additional stuff which would be handy:
    - FM Radio
    - Camera

18. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

No, it doesn't.

Sorry, that's wrong!

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Leaving aside the debate over whether the stock Apple earbuds' audio quality is good enough, I can never get those darn things to stay in my ears! So I never use them. Therefore I'll have to buy an extra accessory, like a headphone with an inline mic, to use features that require sound input = FAIL.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind if they added the vibrate feature to the touch. There are some apps, esp games, that provide feedback with vibrations on the iPhone, and I'd love to have that on my touch.

20. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

yeah tactile feedback would be great.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

a true GPS does NOT require constant connection. All it needs is signals from the sats. I don't think there's room for a true GPS in the current form factor. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W which is just a little bigger than an iPod Touch and it requires no wi-fi or 3G and no monthly fee of any kind.

22. macsarethebest macrumors regular

GPS requires a satellite receiver, not constant internet connection.

23. joehahn macrumors regular

24. Darth Maynard macrumors member

A few weeks ago Tom Tom announced an app for the iphone for a better gps, (though it's a bit pricey). One would think it would be in the works for the touch. I've never understood why more add ons couldn't be just plugged into the unit.

I wonder whether it's cost effective to go with a myfi and a bluetooth set up for an alternative iphone. I haven't done the cost comparison yet, but it seems logical.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Touch would need a real GPS chip for that to work, unless you could plug a GPS into the dock.