Upgrades to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abyssgh0st, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Hey all,

I have a base 2.26 13" MBP, and I plan on upping to 4GB of RAM and a 128SSD.*

I plan on ordering from New Egg, and I just want to make sure I'm getting something that is priced well and will be compatible.*

This is the RAM:
    *http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104103

I've had Kingston before and have been happy, but for monetary reasons crucial and OCZ are almost half the price. Any suggestions?

And the SSD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139007

Also still open to suggestions.*

Thanks!

Also, what kind of speed increases should I see compared to my stock one mow?

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yeah. Your are paying 2x amount of money for that Kingston RAM for 5-5-5 timing, of which your MBP isn't even capable of taking advantage. Even if it could, you wouldn't notice. Save your money, get the OCZ or the Crucial.

3. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Okay, thank you, that's good to know. I hear people complaining about Crucial a lot, why is that?

Any advice on the SSD? is that one fine?

4. vant macrumors 65816

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Crucial is great place to buy RAM and I have never had problems with them. As said above, Intel is planning on releasing new SSD's with higher capacities (80GB, 160GB, 320GB) in the near future for a much cheaper price so I would wait.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I don't know what the deal is with Crucial b/c I've generally had good experiences with them. Every manufacturer has a contingent of complainers. If you're shopping NewEgg, if the product you're buying has more than a 4 star rating from over a 100 people, chances are that you're getting good product.

I don't know much about SSDs so maybe someone else can help you there.

7. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Any idea for the pricepoints of these Intels? Is it the X-25 thing I've been hearing so much about?

I plan on buying these in December anyways, just wanted an idea on what to spend/buy. Is installing the SSD on the unibody 13" MBP pretty simple? I know the transfering of files is, but not that part.

8. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

the kingston speed is
    Sequential Access - Read 100MB/sec
    Sequential Access - Write 80MB/sec
    MTBF 1,000,000 hours

will the new intels be price comparable to the kingston since the intels have higher read and write speed.

9. oregon2 macrumors regular

I have Crucial RAM in my desktop PC and my brother has it in his MBP and neither of use have had issues. I thought Crucial was actually on par with Kingston, as one of the best.