Upgrades (woohoo) and a question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I knew doubling my RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB would improve performance but not THIS much! My boot time from complete shutdown has dropped to about 1/4 what it was (and it wasn't bad to begin with)! It's like everything just pops on the screen at once instead of each startup program loading separately...like my menu bar just populated all at once! wow! I ended up going with Lexar RAM because that's the only brand Best Buy / Future Shop had in 4 GB modules.

It was also very easy to change it myself! (I was a little worried at first) My only hiccup was I didn't quite have the bottom module completely snapped all the way in so first boot showed 4 GB still. I knew right away that was the issue because it just didn't seem like it was fitting right when I first put it in. I just had to push a little harder. Rebooted again and 8 GB! (as a side note..... how CUTE are those little tiny screws holding the back on!!?? LMAO) btw... I'm a girl, so I am allowed to use that word!

This is a mid 2009 13" MBP 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo.... At this point I don't think it's worth me upgrading to a newer MBP because the processor speed still seems plenty, and I run Adobe CS5 and a bunch of other graphics tools on the go. You might wonder why I didn't get a larger MBP... it wasn't a money issue at all. It was the size. I wanted small and light and portable. So I could bring it in my camera bag to do on the spot editing. At home I plug into an external monitor.

Next upgrade will be a larger HD. But I don't know how much of a pain is it to switch to a new HD now? I don't have SL install DVD... my Time Machine backup is Lion. Can I get this HD imaged and just copy the image over to the new HD and have all my apps still working normally?? The 320 GB hd I realize was already an upgrade (since it came with a 250 GB) but I had that done when I first got the MBP so Leopard was already installed on the 320 GB.

2. lfshammu macrumors member

When updating the hard drive, just backup the HD one more time. install the new HD. boot from the install disk, and restore from your time machine backup. it will look exactly the same when its done!

3. Synergie, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

What install disk? Oh you mean the OS X install DVD that came originally with the MBP? I do have that... but it's Leopard... not Snow Leopard. Will I have issues booting to that, and then restoring the TM backup? Will everything be back to Lion and just like it is now when I am done or will I have to install SL again first? I did have the SL DVD here too but I can't find it anymore.

Oh and I just noticed something about my RAM. Everywhere I read says that mid 2009 MBP use 1066 MHz DDR3. The Lexar RAM I got says it's both 1066 / 1333 MHz and I was assured by Future Shop that it will just adjust to what the system requires. Well, I just looked in System Information and it says it's running at 1333 MHz!! Will this affect anything?? Will my MBP blow up or something? Everything seems to be working flawlessly!

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

When you get the replacement HDD, use CarbonCopyCloner and clone your hard drive to the new drive (you will need an external Hard Drive enclosure). Then Just pop the old drive out and insert the new one in. Upon reboot, you may need to reset the SMC.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Yup.

Get something like this hard drive dock. Terribly useful and low cost.

Or, if you want to use your old hard drive on the go, get an enclosure.

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

7. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

ok guy sim in a similiar situation as the thread started.... have snow leopard... want to install lion though first before i install a new hard drive. should i just install lion on my computer then install a new hard drive?????

And does anyone have any tutorials.. so i don;t blow my first mac up... thanks.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The smartest thing to do would be to back everything up using time machine and an external hard drive.

Then, make yourself a bootable copy of Lion on a DVD/thumb drive.

Pull old HD out.

Stick new one in.

Turn on computer, stick the Lion DVD you just made in there, hold C.

Install Lion by following the on screen prompts.

Plug in your external, restore your apps and settings using migration assistant.

You're done.

9. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

thank you so much...