Upgrades......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I just did my first upgrade on my MBP I upgraded the ram to 8GB very easy to do. I just ordered a 256gb SSD. I have been watching videos and read the apple guide on how to install a new HD. My question is when installing it Do I need disconnect battery? I also got the transfer kit as I'm hoping to upgrade before new os comes out. I'm going to be be backing everything up to my external drive before proceeding.

Is there anything else I need to know? Will I need to reformat the disk to use it as anther HD? Or should I leave it they way it is as a back up?

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

If its a post 2010 MBP you will not need to disconnect the battery. You sure will need to use the OS X recovery disc to install it and then restore your data. You can use either Time Machine or Migration assistant. And if you can you may be able to clone the HDD to the SSD but I don't recommend this. Migration assistant will do the best of the three but it is not as easy as Time Machine.

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why not clone it? I was going to back up everything and then clone and then once SSD is in do a fresh clean install.I dont have a disk should I use Internet recovery?

4. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

i used time machine backup

5. Afbar1114, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what speeds will i see? Will it be faster and is cloning the drive ok?
    how do i upgrade firm ware on this?
    is trim supported?
    i have to reformat the drive before installing it as mac os journaled? and then just clone the drive or should i just install it and use lion internet recovery?

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am confuesed on why not to clone a drive? No one ever explianed why not too

7. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

some have had bad luck with your permissions getting screwed up after cloning a boot drive, including myself.

A fresh install ensures that the files from the operating system are in the right place.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

Download SuperDuper, clone the new SSD directly from the main. Install it, boot up, done.

I've done this at least a dozen times in the past four months setting up new machines at the office. Zero issues, permissions work, just like the drive you cloned.

9. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can i just install and use lion internet recovery?