Upgradign RAM yourself doesn't void warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tomatoking, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Tomatoking macrumors newbie

I just want to make sure. I'm getting a macbook by the end of this month.I've been looking on newegg.com and upgrading to 4 gigs is A LOT cheaper, then upgrading through apple. Also does Apple care cover this plastic chipping i keep reading about?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Upgrading RAM is fine: but if you were, for example, to push the RAM in far too hard and damage the slot that would not be covered: it would not be a manufacturing defect, rather user caused damage.

In general AppleCare does not cover cosmetic defects, but Apple has been covering case cracks as a manufacturing issue.

3. Tomatoking thread starter macrumors newbie

ah. Also, i read that the Macbooks don't have the backlit keyboards like the MBPs. Since i'll be using it in college i might have to pull all nighters and i wont turn on a lamp or anything, so i won't disturb my roommate. Are the keys hard to recognize in the dark?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea. I have a MacBook Pro with light-up keys (and before that I had a PowerBook G4 which also had light-up keys) :p

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Learn to touch type. Go somewhere else to work. Use the light from the screen to see the keys.

Pretty simple.

6. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i swapped the ram out my self, but when i sent my mac into apple i put the old ram back in just incase!

no big deal. took 2 min.

7. PLin macrumors 6502

Even if you need to see the letters on the keyboard to type, you'll probably be fine, because the screen usually outputs enough light to allow you to see the keyboard.

8. Tomatoking thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, i should learn how to type without looking at the keyboard. xD

ok, final question!

I was thinking of ordering my macbook online,but i changed my mind i want to buy it at an apple store,which is close to my home.

Will i still be able to get the education discount(applied to the mac itself and apple care)? Do i have to show them my school ID?

9. PLin macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple retail stores will give you the academic price if you show your student ID.

10. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

You will need both a Student ID and a Driver's License/STate ID. you will still be able to get the student discount, ipod promotion, and printer promotion. User replacable RAM is awesome..and was made much easier with the macbooks from the ibooks, where it was much easier to break something. It's also pretty easy to do.

11. kjwarren macrumors newbie

I think it's easier without the backlight. I find myself turning off the keyboard lights because the light from the screen lights the keys on its own.