Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Hi all

New here and hoping you can help me....cheaply!!!:D

I have an old MacBook (from about 2006 or so....). Here are the specs:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.17f0

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.11.1

I'm wondering, what do I need to do to get onto the latest version of iOS, or is the MacBook too old!!!!

Thanks again
Will

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To update to iOS 7, you need at least Snow Leopard/10.6 to get iTunes 11.1 for iOS 7. You can do it on your current Macbook, all you need is the $20 Snow Leopard disc from Apple. I would recommend upgrading your Macbook's ram to 2GB when upgrading to Snow Leopard as well. It'll run a bit rough with only 1GB of ram. Also, you may want to edit your post to remove your serial number.

Edja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Thanks guys,

Appreciate that. At least now I know the route to go...some guy in a Mac store here in Ireland told me that I had to upgrade to all later versions before I would be 'allowed' install the actual latest version.....the cost!!!!!:eek::confused::rolleyes:

Thanks again.....Ooops on the serial no!!!:(:confused:

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Thanks guys,

Appreciate that. At least now I know the route to go...some guy in a Mac store here in Ireland told me that I had to upgrade to all later versions before I would be 'allowed' install the actual latest version.....the cost!!!!!:eek::confused::rolleyes:

Thanks again.....Ooops on the serial no!!!:(:confused:

The guy is right, Snow Leopard is not the latest OS version out there, Mountain Lion is and to get to it you have to upgrade to older versions first (I think either Snow Leopard or Lion) then you can go to Mountain Lion (if your macbook supports it). I had to do this to get my imac from Leopard to Mountain Lion because I never upgraded to Snow Leopard or Lion to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.