Upgrading 10.5.8 and also a itunes question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pack82, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pack82 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I am new here and this is my first post - i am really sorry if these questions have been asked 101 times but i couldn't find the right answer so here we go...

Firstly,
    I am wiping my 2008 white mac and starting again, but first i am transferring all my music to a external hard drive, once i have reinstalled the OSX i would like to run my music in itunes via the external hd rather than copy it all back onto my mac hd. I have changed the location under the settings to the external and also now consoldating the files and they are copying over to my external.

So basically my question is once ive reinstalled the osx how do i go about adding all my music into the newly d/w'ed itunes with the mac copying all the tracks to into the internal hd?
    Hope that makes sence! :\

:Blushing:

Also, i am running 10.5.8 - is it worth me upgrading to snow leopard? ive read reviews where people say that its best to stick with 10.6.8 rather than upgrading as SL runs very slow on a 2008 white mac?

Thankyou so much for any advice :p

Dave.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes:
    [​IMG]
    I only upgrade to a new OS version if it offers something I need that my current version doesn't. So far, I haven't seen anything in SL or Lion that I need, so I'm sticking with Leopard for now.

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

I respectfully disagree with GGJ's advise on this one.

Since you have set iTunes media location to the external disk, and
    are now consolidating the files, I suggest you leave the boxes GGJ indicates selected. Then from now on when you add music to you library it will
    be copied to your external disk, and organized with the rest of your music.

To "move" your library to your new OS - you can either migrate your user account, or, just copy the ~/Muisc/iTunes folder to your new home directory.
    This will move the library files, which will be looking for you music on
    your external HD. Just connect your external HD and it will find all its media.

I also suggest you upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard if your computer supports it. Essentially the big difference between these is improved performance and bug fixes.

Of course GGJ's advise is a completely viable alternative, and there is nothing really wrong with it, it is just not what I would suggest.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

...As is your right, especially since this is partly a matter of preference. There is certainly more than one way of approaching this. (But thank you for being polite about it! :))
    The benefit to leaving them unchecked is that no copies are made, in the first place. You can simply add to your existing media folder and add to the iTunes library, without having to worry about forgetting to delete duplicate files. This choice also is preferable if you already have a file/folder structure that you want to maintain, since iTunes will name and organize files in a way that may not appeal to some users. Again, personal preference.
    This, I don't recommend. Here's why: First, you may want to see what you have in your iTunes library, even if you don't intend to play something. You won't be able to do this if you're away from the external drive. Also, if you launch iTunes without the external drive mounted, iTunes, since it can't find your library files, will create a new library. Then you'll have the hassle of closing iTunes, deleting the newly-created library, mounting the external drive, then relaunching iTunes while holding the Option key, to select your library on the external drive. If you leave your library on your internal drive and you launch iTunes without the external mounted, your library will open fine, but will show exclamation marks on all the songs that reside on the external drive. Simply mount the drive, then relaunch iTunes. Done.

Another alternative is to keep the music you listen to the most on your internal drive, and keep the rest on the external. That way, you can have one iTunes library, but have a subset of that available when you travel.

How to split a single iTunes library over two media locations

5. dknightd macrumors 6502

Perhaps you misunderstood - I was suggesting the OP keep his itunes library in his home directory (which I assumed would be on his internal disk)

He is wiping his machine - I was just suggesting he put the iTunes library files back where they were.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right, I did misread that, thinking you were suggesting moving it to the external drive with the media files. Not enough coffee... or too much... or senility.... take your pick! :)