Upgrading 10.6.8 Server to 10.9 Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by jeremymcgill, Dec 4, 2013.

  1. jeremymcgill macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #1
    Have a 10.6.8 Xserve Server that is currently hosting the below services.

    AFP, DHCP, DNS, FIREWALL, ICHAT, MAIL, NAT, OPEN DIRECTORY, VPN AND WEB SERVICE.

    I'm considering upgrading to 10.9 with the Server App. I love this forum and would like to get any feedback. My major reason to do so is to make sure I'm up to date with security patches cause we do run credit cards for business on its network and I have to be PCI Compliant.

    I'm nervous about the upgrade path. Have 50 users worth of emails and settings I can not afford to mess up.

    Thanks everyone.
     
  2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2013
    #2
    i would wait.. the VPN is currently not fully functional. Also i'd wait for at least one more release just to make sure, since your server is mission critical. And lastly, i would run the Mavericks server app on another machine (a MBP will do just fine) and try to configure all of your services as a test run and test it out, just in case especially if 50 ppl are depending on the thing working flawlessly... :D

    good luck mate.

    p.s.
    10.9.1 is supposed to fix the vpn issues, but i have not heard any confirmation of this.
     
  3. chrfr macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    #3
    Before you do anything else: make a full backup to which you can revert if necessary. Test that backup to be sure it will restore.
     
  4. chris.k macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    Location:
    YSSY
    #4
    Post removed.

    I misread 10.6.8 as 10.8.5. My bad!
     

Share This Page